Is there a better way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Yeah, thanks again. One more question and I'll leave it alone:

What is the control relay, how is it wired and what do it do?

Well look at the last schematic C1 brakes each transformer to isolate them for separate control for your motion sensors C1 can be controlled by one of the time clock contacts the one for the 10:00 pm set point .

Wire it up as you would your transformer its a coil at 120 volts.

Meaning when power is off use the C1 contacts which make when power is off meaning close this will keep your transformers hot and when your motion sensors kick in the lites come on .

That schematic i drew is not a good one its just a fast sketch kinda a one line for logic i think you need more experience with this project .

Take the advise of the other post it might be better to just purchase a unit made .

I always like to make my own stuff so i know what your asking take care have fun .

Last edited:

e57

Try this - cheap - it will hum and clack shut but.... And since not 'zero-crossing' the relay contacts will scortch...

2 - 120 3P coil relays
6 - 120 Motions
1 - time clock (you choose)
2 - single pole switches (one over-ride, one disconnect)

zonedmotion120.jpg

e57

Just don't put where the boss can hear it.... ;) And again the line voltage is going to have to travel some distance - voltage drop could be an issue depending on where the motions are????

brockbone

For peace and quiet I'll charge him extra..

For peace and quiet I'll charge him extra..

I calc-ing out the voltage drops now...so far it looks ok.
I am just a one man show and really needed the help with this..
Thanks to Everyone and I'm going to keep looking for that prefect solution..
I will let you know if I ever find it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Use a MicroPLC like the Siemens Logo!. It can be the time clock and have all the logic required, and its fun to programme up. For the number of relay outputs you have you'd need a base and an I/O expander. You want the models with 5A relays.

I had mentioned such (microcontroller) a ways back in the postings. The output contact ratings are kinda low, but brockbone has yet to tell us the approximate loads per zone. Another issue is the fact he wants sunset (and sunrise) timing (to forego using a photocell) and that will be kinda hard to program into the microcontroller (aka mini-PLC, or such).

If looking for relatively inexpensive timer solutions meeting the criteria, perhaps something as simple as the Intermatic Digital In-Wall Timer ST01C will suffice, but will need two: one for sunset to 10:00PM timing and another for 10:00PM to sunrise timing. But that shouldn't be a problem since they cost approximately $30 each (http://www.google.com/products?q=Intermatic+ST01C&scoring=p). Being so inexpensive I considered using several to complete the entire switching except for the sensors. Down side of that is it is the zones may not switch at the exact same time, and even if they do initially would they do so consistently. Intermatic claims they can be set accurately down to the minute, so the question is: will the customer object to zones coming on at slightly different times... and then how often would the timers need to be reset to keep it within a minute.

Last edited:

kenq

Yeah, PLC. They are cheap. easy to program, and all the extraneous crap can be ommitted. Switch the LV side, if it's a real load problem, add relays. Maybe one Photocell input for sunrise/senset, don't bother with the timers, they change throughtou the year anyway. if timing is critical, but the PLC will time and switch 'em all simultaneously, it'll do it all...

One well thought out, and well programmed PLC, will replace piles of relays, hours of labor and chasing miswiring.

KEN

Status
Not open for further replies.