Is wiring sealed with Seal Tight code compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eglo Olem

New User
The contractor has sealed wiring on the roof with Seal Tight. Is this code compliant? Please see attached picture for orange wiring and the one on the right without the black rubber boot. I would appreciate if someone can comment on the the two locations pointed, if they are code complaint. Thanks!

Attachments

• Chiller el cord not sealed-2.jpg
    Chiller el cord not sealed-2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 2

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Typically threads started by those not in the trade would be closed but I will allow this for the time being, it's worthy of a discussion.

Roger

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Nothing in that picture stands out as expressly non-compliant to me.

Rubber boots are not required for roof electrical penetrations under the NEC.

The orange wire appears to be the end of an extension cord which is covered by piping insulation. This typically indicates some kind of heat trace on the piping... though usually it would be the end of the heat trace being plugged into the receptacle. In this case, my guess is the end of the heat trace was not close enough to the receptacle, so a short extension cord was used. Now there might be something non-compliant if they spliced a cut extension cord to a non-cord-and-plug-connected heat trace without a termination box.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I see connectors on the LFMC and no supports within 12" of the connector as required by 350.30(A). That is the only code issue I see.

John120/240

What are the wiring methods in the three seal tight conduits ? If thhn or thwn a connector would be needed where the seal tight connected to the box under the roof. If something like UF cable was used thru the seal tight no connector necessary on the seal tight but a connector is needed on the UF at its termination.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The 45d sealtite flex connector stuck out to me for the simple fact they must have had 2 guys to install it. One on the roof and another to put the locknut on the underside if its not threading into something below. As far as the hose clamps, looks like they're simply using those to keep the roof cone flashing tight arount the sealtite to keep them from leaking.

Code violtations ? I dont know. I just think it's ugly.

JAP>

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I see connectors on the LFMC and no supports within 12" of the connector as required by 350.30(A). That is the only code issue I see.
Depends on Code cycle. 2014 added the following to Exception No. 4...

For the purposes of 350.30, listed LFMC fittings shall be permitted as a means of support.
...for up to 6' of LFMC.

The odd thing is that this falls in 350.30(A) which is regarding "securely fastened"... but I think the intent was to mean such fittings shall be permitted as the means of secure fastening. IDKFC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've always been under the impression that if flexibility is not required then it cannot be used unless this also falls under protection from liquids, whatever that means. Certainly that recpetacle could be hard piped with a circular raceway.

II. Installation
350.10 Uses Permitted. LFMC shall be permitted to be used in exposed or concealed locations as follows:
(1) Where conditions of installation, operation, or maintenance require flexibility or protection from liquids, vapors, or solids

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Rain qualifies as a liquid. :D

Yes, there are other wiring methods that could be used, but if one is used in lieu of this method then this method will be a member of first part of this statement. :p

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Depends on Code cycle. 2014 added the following to Exception No. 4...

...for up to 6' of LFMC.

The odd thing is that this falls in 350.30(A) which is regarding "securely fastened"... but I think the intent was to mean such fittings shall be permitted as the means of secure fastening. IDKFC.
My understanding was that the use of the connector as the support only applied to the use permitted under exception 4, but the wording is poor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I've always been under the impression that if flexibility is not required then it cannot be used unless this also falls under protection from liquids, whatever that means. Certainly that recpetacle could be hard piped with a circular raceway.
I see that in the section you quoted, but have never looked at it that way. There is no reason that the use of LFMC should be restricted like that. FMC does not have that restriction.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree that rain is a liquid but that I guess would still mean that it cannot be used in dry location where flexibility is not required unless vapors or solids were involved.

iwire

Staff member
I agree that rain is a liquid but that I guess would still mean that it cannot be used in dry location where flexibility is not required unless vapors or solids were involved.

Who determines what and when flexibility is required?:)

As an installer can't I determine I require a flexible raceway to make installation easier?

It strikes me you are trying to read it more restrictive then it is. :)

tkb

Seeing that the connectors are connected to the flashing with no visible conduit tells me that the LT is sleeving a cable method. Probably NM cable, which is a violation in a wet location such as this.

II. Installation
350.10 Uses Permitted. LFMC shall be permitted to be used in exposed or concealed locations as follows:
(1) Where conditions of installation, operation, or maintenance require flexibility or protection from liquids, vapors, or solids .

Personally, I want my conductors protected from liquids, vapors and solids at all times and under any and every circumstance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you install a piece of LFMC between two boxes mounted to a wall I don't see how flexibility is required. It could certainly be replaced by a solid conduit like EMT. So in this example unless there are liquids, vapors or solids involved the wording of 350.10(1) would prohibit that installation.

You need to meet one of the 4 conditions, flexibility, liquid, vapors or solids to use this wiring method. You can't just use this because you had it on the truck or you like how it looks without have one of the four aforementioned conditions. IMO pretty stupid but that's the way that it's written.

Status
Not open for further replies.