Is 'Working Space' required for the Separate (LOCAL) Motor Disconnect switch

emiller233

Is the 30x36x78" Clear Working Space required for the Separate (LOCAL) Motor Disconnect switch? The customer is saying that it is NOT required and I just want to make sure there's not something I'm missing about this seemingly clear definition of it:

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

Heavy industrial installation is in the USA typically, but also in Canada sometimes so I want to make sure we meet both requirements.
The customer has LOTO capabilities remotely at their MCC and they run the power over to a hydraulic power unit that we design/build. We want to add local disconnect sw's for each of the 480VAC motors just to make it easier for their maintenance guys.
The customer is insisting that we don't need to adhere to the 'clear working space requirements' since these local motor disconnects are there just for service work. they want us to mount the disconnect switches on a wall behind all of the machinery.
You would be able to reach them by climbing over things, but I'm struggling to find anything in the code to back up our desire to redesign their layout and mount the Disc Sw's in a more desirable location.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buck Parrish

404.8(A) Location
All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed such that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.
Exception No. 2:
Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means.
Exception No. 3:
Hookstick operable isolating switches shall be permitted at greater heights.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There has always been some controversy on local disconnects but most feel there is no exception that alters the 110.26 requirement:
Working space for equipment operating at 1000 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), (A)(3), and (A)(4) or as required or permitted else‐ where in this Code.