J-box calu

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Are you asking if you need to add additional space in the j-box to accommodate splices in a j-box with angle pulls? Take a look at 314.28(A)(2)

Chris

andy1595

anglepulles and splices

anglepulles and splices

yes do you need more room for splices I already have a angle pull but, the section is considerd angle pulls and splices. Basicly I have 2 1/2 angle pull in a J-box 18x18x4 it fits but, I was wondering if it was a code violation

sparkyboys

calculating big box sizes

calculating big box sizes

To calculate pull box sizes, first multiply the largest conduit by six then add up the rest of conduit for width. for depth, largest conduit multiply by two. This is for splices.
For pull boxes 8x the largest conduit plus the sum of others.
314.28(A)2 Significant Changes Nec 2008

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To calculate pull box sizes, first multiply the largest conduit by six then add up the rest of conduit for width. for depth, largest conduit multiply by two. This is for splices.

Sparky where do we find this information?

resistance

?????

:-?

sparkyboys

314.28(A)2 Significant Changes Nec 2008. this is a book.
This was also discussed in a continuing education class that i had last year, conductuded by a master electrician/contractor/instructor

Last edited:

resistance

314.28(A)2 Significant Changes Nec 2008. this is a book.
This was also discussed in a continuing education class that i had last year, conductuded by a master electrician/contractor/instructor

I'm sure the class was addressing the change from the 2005: revised to specify that the requirement applies to boxes that contain splices.

sparkyboys,
to simply say pull box, then present 8x's or 6x's isn't specific to which pull calculation. You need to present the calculation specific to the pull--while doing the calculation correct.

sparkyboys

to calculate the size of the box, thats the calculation.
6x largest conduit plus sum of others for splices. so two 3" conduits thats 3x6=18+3=21 width 3x2=6 depth 24x24x6 will do

for pull boxes: largest conduit, 3" x 8=24 length 3" x 2=6 depth

for two rows of conduit on splice box:
6x largest conduit plus sum of others: first row
6x largest conduit plus sum of others: second row both for width
largest conduit x2 + largest on back row=depth

so if you have a splice box with two rows of 3-1", 2-4", and 8-3/4", what is the size of the box needed to get the job done?specifically.

resistance

Sparkyboys,

Here is what I'm saying:

Pull Calculations:

A. Straight pull: A #4AWG and larger conductor enters one side of a box, then exits the opposite wall of the same box with the minimum distance from the entrance to the opposite wall of the same box, should not be less than 8x’s the trade size of the largest raceway

B. Angle pull: A #4AWG and larger conductor enters one side of a box, then exit’s the same box from “other than” the opposite wall of the entering conductors in the same box. The distance for this angle pull must not be less than 6x’s the trade diameter of the largest raceway + the sum of the diameters of the remaining raceways on the same wall and row.

Notice the difference

resistance

so if you have a splice box with two rows of 3-1", 2-4", and 8-3/4", what is the size of the box needed to get the job done?specifically.
Be more specific. You said two rows. What size raceways are in row 1? Are they on the same wall?

Also note, that when you say splice box, we will calculate based on section 314.28(A)(2). Not 314.28(A)(1) [Distinction is what you need to see]

Last edited:

sparkyboys

row 1: 4", 4-3/4", 2-1"
row 2: 4", 4-3/4", 1-1"
into one side of box
row1:same
row2:same
coming out of box from left
splice box size?
i already know the answer......

resistance

row 1: 4", 4-3/4", 2-1"
row 2: 4", 4-3/4", 1-1"
into one side of box
row1:same
row2:same
coming out of box from left
splice box size?
i already know the answer......
If you know the answer, then tell me. Why should I have to work the problem. :grin:

sparkyboys

thats the point, to show you can. not trying to argue. just was posting to what the OP had a question to. this how i calculate all boxes bigger than 1 1/4 conduit. plus you said you would calculate it.

sparkyboys

The answer is 31x31x11, but since u can not order a box of that specific size then you have to get one that is 36x36x12. And you can not go lower.

So a 2 1/2" conduit would be 15x15x5, but since you can not get a box of that size, lower is not feasible. So 18x18x6 would be big enough.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here is what the change for the 2008 code did. If you have a straight pull, the minimum length of the box is 8 times the conduit size. If you have the same installation, but you are splicing in the pull box the 8 times conduit size is permitted to be reduced to 6 times.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The answer is 31x31x11, but since u can not order a box of that specific size then you have to get one that is 36x36x12. And you can not go lower.

So a 2 1/2" conduit would be 15x15x5, but since you can not get a box of that size, lower is not feasible. So 18x18x6 would be big enough.

Actually you can order a box of any size if you're willing to pay, we use custom boxes all of the time.

Where exactly are you getting the 2X dimension from in the NEC?

resistance

thats the point, to show you can. not trying to argue. just was posting to what the OP had a question to. this how i calculate all boxes bigger than 1 1/4 conduit. plus you said you would calculate it.
I like and admire your Poise! I'm not trying to speak down on your skill level, I'm here to challenge you to do better--which I see you are capable of doing!
I believe we are here to get help, help, challenge others to do better, and occasionally joke. I decided against working your problem for two reasons:
1. The way you presented the problem
2. I don't have anything to prove

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.