Keep old panel as j-box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

highendtron

Well, I did not intentionally mean to insult any farmer who is a trained "craftsman"...On the other hand, making a job look like a "real" electrical installation, instead of just making sure the lights still work (i.e., the farmer reference) , should be the goal. The job you leave will not be a reflection of my skills or company but others seeing your work may get it confused with what was done before you were there. Hope it gets you more work! I like farmers...if they are pretty!!!!!!!!!!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How much damage to the wall would you do?

If my name were to be placed on that Job I would clean it up. All the walls have panels on them. There is no need to just keep placing more and more crap on top of crap.

I would be money well spent!

Mule

Ok, most all panel's are what? like 14.75" wide, some of the older ones are not that wide, but where are you going to find a jbox that has a cover that will overlap the wall board like a panel cover does? If you think changing out the box makes a more professional installation, knock your self out.....:grin: Most of the homes where we have this type of installation, is typical older rent houses that are worth $25k or less. The old home runs come down the wall and land in the fuse panel, so unless you want to re-pull home runs, there's not much other solution that I see. Leaving a rag'ed edge on the wall board would look like, well...you know.....:) I guess you frame around it will K pattern trim or something.......

Mule

So when you use shared neutrals with existing circuits there are no issues to be concerned about?

We changed out a QO612RB today that had a burnt buss, had the dryer,ac, and two single poles in it, one of which was a tandem that had a 12/2 wgrnd tied to it....black on side of the tandem and the white on the other and the EGC (now a neutral) had a funky color to it from overload. We swapped phase orientation to relieve the neutral current for temporary. and talked the owner into having us come back fix the situation.....rat'y ole rent houses...:rolleyes:

electricmanscott

\On the other hand, making a job look like a "real" electrical installation, instead of just making sure the lights still work (i.e., the farmer reference) , should be the goal. The job you leave will not be a reflection of my skills or company but others seeing your work may get it confused with what was done before you were there. Hope it gets you more work! I like farmers...if they are pretty!!!!!!!!!!

The only ones that care are electricians, most of who like to think that everybody else cares. They don't. The average person just wants the lights to work. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
The only ones that care are electricians, most of who like to think that everybody else cares. They don't. The average person just wants the lights to work. :smile:

I think this should be repeated.

The only ones that care are electricians, .......... The average person just wants the lights to work.

Mule

The problem is the "electrician snob factor" . The longer we are in the trade the more self important we become. :cool:

I recently heard one of my competitors while at the parts house say...."He was important as a Doctor".....couldnt help but rolling my eyes.....Most of the EC's in my town are pretty level headed, but there are two or three, that take the cake.....:)

kbsparky

In cases like this one with a large load center that is flush mounted, sometimes a new panel guts will comfortably fit into the old enclosure.

We did exactly that on a job that had rigid conduits emanating from both top and bottom of the old enclosure. A 30 circuit NQOD guts fitted perfectly into that monstrocity.

Status
Not open for further replies.