Kind of useless appliance guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Probably would have been cheaper to buy a new oven and have it installed. (assuming power was ok going to the oven)
That is when someone finds the problematic bad connection in the junction box when they are disconnecting the old appliance:blink:

growler

What the appliance guy did was pull a cover and get a reading somewhere inside the oven but he didn't pull the oven and get to the j-box .

The oven is not working. I checked what I could without pulling the oven out, which is kind of a big deal.

The electrician is complaining that the appliance guy is kind of useless and yet he is doing the same thing.

Neither wishes to pull the oven because it's "kind of a big deal".

So who's really at fault? Either one could have pulled the oven and checked the junction box. Both electricians and appliance repairmen do install these units.

If the homeowner had called the electrician first would he have checked the junction box or suggested that an appliance repair person be called?

If the applaince repair person charges to remove the oven, check the junction box and it turns out to be just a bad breaker then how does he look to the homeowner?

If the electrician pulls the oven and it turns out to be an internal problem the he looks dumb.

kwired

Electron manager
The electrician is complaining that the appliance guy is kind of useless and yet he is doing the same thing.

So who's really at fault? Either one could have pulled the oven and checked the junction box. Both electricians and appliance repairmen do install these units.

If the homeowner had called the electrician first would he have checked the junction box or suggested that an appliance repair person be called?

If the applaince repair person charges to remove the oven, check the junction box and it turns out to be just a bad breaker then how does he look to the homeowner?

If the electrician pulls the oven and it turns out to be an internal problem the he looks dumb.
I kind of agree with you and must say it is always the electrician's job to prove the appliance repair guy was wrong when they say you need an electrician and then the problem is within the appliance.

Done that a few times when a problem with an appliance caused GFCI tripping, yet the appliance guy says it is a bad GFCI.:roll:

GerryB

So I know what you and others are saying. There is a crossover in trades on things like this. I always ask a series of questions on things like this. (no Ac, no power, etc.) I asked this HO if anything else wasn't working, was the dryer working, was the breaker actually tripped, if so do they know how to reset a breaker. She initially just said she only had 110v to her oven, then after some questions she said the appliance guy checked something inside and said he was only getting 110 v and to call an electrician to check the breaker. I found out he charged her a service call but if he has to go back he will adjust it accordingly. I also asked her if the panel was old. I told her I would not pull the oven. The only thing I'm saying is as I'm sure many of you do is evaluate the situation. I know the app guy probably doesn't want to or is not supposed to check the breaker, but this job was so clean it literally took about 3 minutes. A small sub panel next to the main panel with a lot of kitchen stuff in it, probably from a remodel, 4 screws, 12 ckts. Any way he was going back today so she has been without the oven since last Wed.

J.P.

Maybe just arrange it to be there the same time as the appliance guy. I have had to meet other trades at jobs many times.
Get his cell number and set it up.
Help him remove the oven if you are able.

The bad part about this is looking like a couple of monkeys to the customer.
Not anybody's fault really, But the one person paying just wants it fixed, hopefully for less than a new one.....

kwired

Electron manager
The bad part about this is looking like a couple of monkeys to the customer.
Not anybody's fault really, But the one person paying just wants it fixed, hopefully for less than a new one.....

And unless you somehow make things look better on second trip - neither one of you is ever getting called back to that customer's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.