Kitchen Island outlet location issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
maybe but to a lesser degree, the kids crawling or barely walking are not strong enough to pull off a tv . You know hot grease is much worse than a lamp or radio .

Only for your cholesterol level. If you have kids running around, move the hot what ever to the counter top and get it off the island.

tekelec

Occupation
Electrician
I usually would try and install a piece of plug mold at the top of cabinet, under the small counter overhang, either in stainless or a color matching cabinetry so it blends in. Now that tamper resistant is required, I am not sure if any tamper resistant plug mold is available.

electricmanscott

I usually would try and install a piece of plug mold at the top of cabinet, under the small counter overhang, either in stainless or a color matching cabinetry so it blends in. Now that tamper resistant is required, I am not sure if any tamper resistant plug mold is available.

It is available.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think people should take responsibility for childproofing their own homes. Let's face it: if someone is leaving a grease fryer plugged into their island outlet within easy grasp of their children, then the parent is the idiot, not the electrician. Remove the outlet and their desire for fresh fries may just result in a cord from the counter to the island to satisfy them.

If you think you can control human behavior with your receptacle placement, you're just shy of being a nut.

Here's what the CMP had to say about it, the last time it came up:

The panel has debated the issue of where to mount receptacles on islands over numerous code cycles. The current wording of the NEC provides a reasonable set of rules to address practical mounting based on the construction of the countertop and cabinets. Deleting the section entirely would leave substantial areas of modern kitchens without any receptacles.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
JMO, kids, pets, clummsy people, and idiots should not be around cooking spaces when they are in use, this is covered in the common sense chapter and should also be in the criminal offense chapter for those that would allow them to be.

Roger

jetlag

JMO, kids, pets, clummsy people, and idiots should not be around cooking spaces when they are in use, this is covered in the common sense chapter and should also be in the criminal offense chapter for those that would allow them to be.

Roger

There are plenty of idiots that will move in and out , I want be the one that left a place for a cord to hang over the corner of a cabinet door . An island has an end without a door , an I dont even like to put it there . I cut the overhang back to 6" on the end , make a hole in the c top for the cord to pass through ,and jam the recept right up to the bottom of the ctop . :grin:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
just like Guns and Cigarettes. If you smoke in bed and set the bed on fire who is to blame, the mattress co. the cigarette co. or the dummy smoking in bed.
If you leave a loaded gun around a child and he shoots someone or himself, who is to blame, the gun co. the bullet co. or the dummy that left a loaded gun laying around?
I side with the law that blames the gun owner and say the same logic applies to fry pans, hot plates, etc. and kids.
Darwin's theory is cruel but accurate, "You Can't Fix Stupid!" :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jetlag it seems clear that you need to buy the pop up outlets for your islands as the rest of us don't worry to much about it. If it were a big issue then the NEC would have changed the rules.

jetlag

just like Guns and Cigarettes. If you smoke in bed and set the bed on fire who is to blame, the mattress co. the cigarette co. or the dummy smoking in bed.
If you leave a loaded gun around a child and he shoots someone or himself, who is to blame, the gun co. the bullet co. or the dummy that left a loaded gun laying around?
I side with the law that blames the gun owner and say the same logic applies to fry pans, hot plates, etc. and kids.
Darwin's theory is cruel but accurate, "You Can't Fix Stupid!" :D

You miss the point , I am not worried about who gets the blame , if its wired to code I doubt it would be the electrician, I wont be the idiot, just because the NEC says I can be it . Why doesnt every one wire all the c top recepts below the ctop if it is nothing to worry about ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why doesnt every one wire all the c top recepts below the ctop if it is nothing to worry about ?

Because no one wants them there and it would not be code unless it is an island or peninsula. No one chooses under the counter for placement but with islands and peninsulas there isn't much choice.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
You miss the point , I am not worried about who gets the blame , if its wired to code I doubt it would be the electrician, I wont be the idiot, just because the NEC says I can be it . Why doesnt every one wire all the c top recepts below the ctop if it is nothing to worry about ?

Frankly, I am going to put the island receptacle in the place that is the easiest for me to install. I hate trying to run island receptacles, because the cabinet maker and installer NEVER put any planning into the fact we need a space to install them. I spend 10 times the effort into island receptacles then any other receptacles, you don't make money by wasting time, if I am the only one that puts any effort into it, then they are stuck with what I decide is the best location for it.
I am always amazed that a cabinet maker can build such beautiful cabinets and not give us 3'' for a box, or cut holes in them that line up with the pipes and boxes in the walls when they install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.