Kitchen Microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Okay perhaps your areas do take the range-- not the case here-- w/d yes, and sometimes the refrigerator but I have never seen the range go with the seller. Anyway my point is that it is a very different animal then a portable microwave. Now built in may be a good argument. The units I have seen for assisted living did not supply the mw however that may be different in other areas.

Obviously this needs work..

This is from the FIRST ad I looked at for homes for sale in NC.

No appliances currently, but an electric range will be installed prior to closing.

https://www.ziprealty.com/homes-for-sale/search-results/raleigh/detailed

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from the FIRST ad I looked at for homes for sale in NC.

https://www.ziprealty.com/homes-for-sale/search-results/raleigh/detailed

Not sure what the link accomplishes. As I stated I have not seen a home where the seller took the range. Is it possible that it can happen-- sure but it is not common. Regardless this really doesn't decide whether a range is a permanent appliance or not. I would bet that most people would consider a range as a permanent means for cooking. If it isn't then what would constitute a permanent means? As Don stated nothing is really permanent

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Not sure what the link accomplishes. As I stated I have not seen a home where the seller took the range. Is it possible that it can happen-- sure but it is not common. Regardless this really doesn't decide whether a range is a permanent appliance or not. I would bet that most people would consider a range as a permanent means for cooking. If it isn't then what would constitute a permanent means? As Don stated nothing is really permanent

I posted what I thought was permanent. Bolted, screwed or otherwise fastened into place. I'll even add partially covered by finishing materials fastened into place. A range is simply plugged into a receptacle and slid into place. It's not 'fixed' to anything by any other means than gravity.

If true 'fixing' were to happen with a range, it would render the plug and the receptacle not readily accessible. So, if you think about it, a cord and plug connected range cannot be permanent (fixed), or the accessibility of the receptacle changes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Think about the reasons for this section and it doesn't make sense. If there are no cooking permanent provisions then people will more likely have hot plates etc. This seems to support 2 circuits minimum.

Now whether a range is direct wired or plug in should have no effect on the interpretation IMO. The fact that it is plugged in does not change the usage of the space.

kwired

Electron manager
Range may or may not be taken when a property sells, but it still leaves behind a space that is pretty much reserved for another range.

Microwaves, hot plates other "portable" cooking appliances can go most anywhere and are generally not considered permanent cooking provisions because of their portability.

YMMV in some locations, hence best to find out how AHJ sees it.

Status
Not open for further replies.