KW Usage tripled !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke70

My utility bill doubled last month, and my usage tripled. Assumed a misread by utility guy. Talked with the utility company and they said they had already had the meter read again because it came across as a high reading. Thanks for the heads up. Any way utility gal said it was usually an appliance going to ground, usually the fridge. Any ideas on troubleshooting this issue?

mivey

My utility bill doubled last month, and my usage tripled. Assumed a misread by utility guy. Talked with the utility company and they said they had already had the meter read again because it came across as a high reading. Thanks for the heads up. Any way utility gal said it was usually an appliance going to ground, usually the fridge. Any ideas on troubleshooting this issue?
What are your readings right now? Get out your current clamp and/or your PQ meter. Check at the drop and at the panel.

480sparky

yes, I do.

There's your prime suspect.
cop.gif

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There's your prime suspect.
cop.gif

been my experience....
that and your HVAC (heat) unit.
You probably know the steps... but watch your meter and turn on 1 circuit at a time..see which ones are using current and determine why.

then, I always get a few of those calls here in TN from folks who somehow don't realize that in the past 30 days we have had more below 32 than above and for longer periods of time.

duke70

been my experience....
that and your HVAC (heat) unit.
You probably know the steps... but watch your meter and turn on 1 circuit at a time..see which ones are using current and determine why.

then, I always get a few of those calls here in TN from folks who somehow don't realize that in the past 30 days we have had more below 32 than above and for longer periods of time.

Was suspect of HVAC unit. Maybe the blower.?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is not likely to help, but does your bill actually state the meter reading? If so, can you look at the meter, and judge for yourself (these things are not easy to read) whether it was likely to have been read correctly the first (and second) times by the utility person? I am not suggesting that the meter reader had "radioed" the reading, but if the bill says that your reading went from 12,345 to 16,345 in one month, and if the meter reads 14,345 today, then perhaps it may yet prove to have been an error on the part of the utility person.

mivey

This is not likely to help, but does your bill actually state the meter reading? If so, can you look at the meter, and judge for yourself (these things are not easy to read) whether it was likely to have been read correctly the first (and second) times by the utility person? I am not suggesting that the meter reader had "radioed" the reading, but if the bill says that your reading went from 12,345 to 16,345 in one month, and if the meter reads 14,345 today, then perhaps it may yet prove to have been an error on the part of the utility person.
While you are at it, see how many days between reads.

duke70

Consumption is very detailed and consistant over last 3 months.

duke70

I don't think I'm dealing with actual useage (demand), but some failing electrical or mechanical component or appliance. I have checked circuit loads one at a time and have not seen anything abnormal. I guess I could check across my heating elements on the water heater.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I forgot well pump, that one is normally in the running, but since you don't have one, obviously out.
Water heater elements have a habit of shorting to ground (water) and since one leg doesn't normally shut off by the thermostats, that power "leak" goes on 24/7.
On the heat pumps, I've found them heating & cooling at the same time and also elements shorting to ground much like the water heater.
Again, turning off breakers should help you identify where the power is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.