Label Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I have gotten into the habit of printing many at one time with double space between. Cut the with sissors, less waste.

Same here, sometimes I will type in many labels with extra space between until the memory is full and print them in one long string. Saves a lot of waste.

BTW, linemans will cut them fine unless you have a blowout in your linemans.

kwired

Electron manager
I've got a Brother labeler the shop gave me, it works great except it consistently wastes about an 1" of label at the beginning of every label. I called customer service and this isn't a fluke, it's just how the labeler operates. We had a Dimo similar to this that everyone used before we each got our own that worked great and didn't waste any label.

There is likely paramaters to change this to not advance the tape for each label. I have a TZ machine and changed that setting a long time ago so I don't recall where or what it is. You do have to manually advance the tape when you want to cut it or it will cut part of the last label printed out, but otherwise I print multiple labels before advancing to cut it.

Recently purchased the PT-1700 (I think that is right number)it replaced the previously mentioned 1400. You have to use it with a PC, but you have a much bigger variety of things you can print - including images - monochrome of course. If you have limited space for a label you can make it automatically adjust font size to fit that space - that is very handy.

iwire

Staff member
With the P-Touch I have now there is no way at all not waste about .75 inches each print command.

You push print, it spools out some tape, says 'cut tape' you do that and at that point the label prints with the adjustable margins on each end. It is a stupid design but I did not choose it.

My old one had PC connectivity and was much better, you could even put graphics on a P-Touch label.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Is there anything different between the 3M printers you have and the Rhino printers by Dymo? The lineup looks exactly the same. Do you know if the tape is compatible between them? I find the Rhino tape to be easy to find and priced reasonably. I own two Rhino 5200 machines and I have used tons of the Flexible Nylon labels for wire labels. Unfortunately, I have had tons of them fail in environments, with very little heat. The glue gets all gooey, and it unravels off the cable. Talk about a pain in the butt. I tried working with their tech department, but they stopped responding to emails. I now use Brady laser printer labels, which are by far the most robust cable labels I have ever used.

I have had some of the PVC labels fail in the Florida heat due to glue. I like the heat shrink labels and find the printer to be quite versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.