laundry receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
if a laundy room is the exact size of the washer dryer and the power requirement is 30 amps 220volts is there still a requirement for a dedicated laundry receptical ??

480sparky

Yes. 210.52(F).

Stickboy, I think that Code ref is a little off. 210.11(C)(2) makes no mention of a 120v circuit any more.

celtic

"What if" the "laundry room" is no more than the width and depth of the combo washer/dryer ?
Imagine if you will, a closet sized area (with a bi-fold door) that allows ONLY for the W/D and nothing else....going a step further, this W/D location is in a hallway.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
Correct, that was a change from the 2002 to the 2005.

Actually, that code section has never mentioned voltage. It changed from 220-4 in the '99, but never mentions anything more than a 20-a circuit all the way back to when it was born in 1968. Back then, 220-4(h)(2) only required a 1500-watt 2-wire circuit.

celtic said:
"What if" the "laundry room" is no more than the width and depth of the combo washer/dryer ?
Imagine if you will, a closet sized area (with a bi-fold door) that allows ONLY for the W/D and nothing else....going a step further, this W/D location is in a hallway.

It's still required.

stickboy1375

celtic said:

Then you still need the 120v 20a circuit. There are no WHAT IF''s... it says what it says.

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
Actually, that code section has never mentioned voltage. It changed from 220-4 in the '99, but never mentions anything more than a 20-a circuit all the way back to when it was born in 1968. Back then, 220-4(h)(2) only required a 1500-watt 2-wire circuit.

Pretty strange, why do you think it was even worded like that?

celtic

480sparky said:
It's still required.

stickboy1375 said:
Then you still need the 120v 20a circuit. There are no WHAT IF''s... it says what it says.

Interesting....
A couple of years back when I did the condos, we had the exact scenario I described.
No laundry outlet was installed.
The EI was/is a very sharp guy.

I don't know why this was overlooked/allowed.

480sparky

celtic said:
Interesting....
A couple of years back when I did the condos, we had the exact scenario I described.

210.11(2)(2) appears to only require a minimum of a 20-amp circuit. Maybe that's what the EIs take on it was. As long as there's a 30-amp, then that's all that was needed.

But 210.52(F) requires a 120v 20a.

stickboy1375

celtic said:
Interesting....

I find it strange I am forced to install anything to do with laundry, seems like a luxury item to me... Never liked 210.52 anyhow.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
I find it strange I am forced to install anything to do with laundry, seems like a luxury item to me... Never liked 210.52 anyhow.

So are coffee pots, mixers, bread makers, cappucino machines, popcorn poppers, malt mixers and mircowaves. You still happily install the two SABCs, don't you?

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
So are coffee pots, mixers, bread makers, cappucino machines, popcorn poppers, malt mixers and mircowaves. You still happily install the two SABCs, don't you?

Not happily, no. Yet, another luxory item. The nec should be all about a safe install. Not what to install. IMSO of course.

wirebender

480sparky said:
210.11(2)(2) appears to only require a minimum of a 20-amp circuit. Maybe that's what the EIs take on it was. As long as there's a 30-amp, then that's all that was needed.

But 210.52(F) requires a 120v 20a.

210.11(C)(2) requires at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by
210.52(F).

210.52 is about 125 volt receptacles so the circuit required by 210(C)(2) must be 120 volt.

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
So am I supposed to still be happy? :rolleyes:

Well, yea, if you take your paycheck and buy lottery tickets and win a bazillion dollars. Of course, if you do win a bazillion dollars, you gotta share it with us...:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.