Legal splice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would not like those types in my panels.
I would prefer the terminal blocks that are insulated. I'd hate to move wires around this panel with all those live exposed parts.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would not like those types in my panels.
I would prefer the terminal blocks that are insulated. I'd hate to move wires around this panel with all those live exposed parts.

you are not allowed to work in a live panel anyway, at least not without wearing the insulating gloves and other PPE and using insulated tools so what difference would it make?

victor.cherkashi

Is this terminal block part of manufacture's panel board assembly (maybe optional to buy) and panel UL listed? If yes that mean UL permits you to use this terminals.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Is this terminal block part of manufacture's panel board assembly (maybe optional to buy) and panel UL listed? If yes that mean UL permits you to use this terminals.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The panelboard is the assembly containing the breakers and bus bars. The box it mounts in is a cabinet. You can mount such terminal strips in a cabinet along with the panelboard, lighting contactors and other items. Now most cabinets specifically designed to enclose a specific panelboard don't have much extra room for such items. This is especially true for the "loadcenters" that are common in residential and light commercial applications.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
you are not allowed to work in a live panel anyway, at least not without wearing the insulating gloves and other PPE and using insulated tools so what difference would it make?

Oh and none of us do that!
How is the glove or insulated tool going to prevent a wire from touching one of those live terminals?
How about bare grounds. They would love to come in contact with that.
The make the insulated ones why not use them.

kwired

Electron manager
Oh and none of us do that!
How is the glove or insulated tool going to prevent a wire from touching one of those live terminals?
How about bare grounds. They would love to come in contact with that.
The make the insulated ones why not use them.
The live work rules are to protect the worker not the equipment.

That said it is still more of a design decision then a code rule. Some panels (mostly the 1 inch wide interchangeable plug on types) the bus bars are fairly exposed and love to catch stray conductors (especially the bare grounding conductors) as well.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The live work rules are to protect the worker not the equipment.

That said it is still more of a design decision then a code rule. Some panels (mostly the 1 inch wide interchangeable plug on types) the bus bars are fairly exposed and love to catch stray conductors (especially the bare grounding conductors) as well.

You think I don't know about live work. I am probably the only sparky that has PPE in my area.

Except they are not at the top of the panel where bare conductors might be.

iwire

Staff member
You think I don't know about live work. I am probably the only sparky that has PPE in my area.

Except they are not at the top of the panel where bare conductors might be.

Even if you put on PPE it is a violation to do most live work.

It is limited to troubleshooting and when a shutdown is more hazardous than not shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.