Length of conductors in c/b panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The NEC is silent on this issue as it should be. I'm from the school of no big loops of slack in the panel.
Me too, but will say it was nice the original installer left all that extra recently when I changed a old fuse panel to a 200 amp breaker panel. Did not have to splice onto anything on that job.

Adamjamma

Looks good. I have also spoken to a few inspectors that prefer the loops so that a breaker can be moved. These installations were in Caribbean concrete block structures with cables coming in from four (yes, four) sides.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Yep... Four sides is normal in Jamaica... Top and Bottom sometimes is all that is used and bottom feed for main in, top exit for lights and next panel... they like to cmu and fill all the blocks.. and leave a p on the block to tell you there is supposed to be a conduit there... which you then hand chisel or hilti out and run your pipes... learned the hard way to always check the run from pipe to pipe before chiseling the walls... have had many conduits filled with concrete sometimes...

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I do a LOT of this ,mainly to achieve a neat panel, with future accessibility>

YxJjXWh.jpg

~RJ~

peter d

Agreed, but the wires shouldn't be straight and taut. A full panel should almost appear empty:

I actually do it the exact opposite way. I hate filling up all the gutter space at the outside edges of the panel, so I come down straight into the "empty area" and into the breakers.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Admittedly, i could have had more patience w/that one.

My perspective is it's safer, 1/3 less mess in a panel, and one never needs to drag an egc into it

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.