Lets all work for free.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

Probably.

Would you have gone on to start your own [successful? I hope] business w/o his pushing either?

for me, the answer is a definitive no...but then again, i wasn't handed anything...by the time I got out of college and decided to get into the electrical business, we had been out of business for about 3 yrs...owned a biker bar in the interim...didn't take a paycheck for the 1st 9-10 months...started back up with 1 truck and $20k limit on credit cards...but heck, to some I guess i'll always be a 'gangbox baby'...oh well, life goes on...

Power Tech

some of the best electricians I've ever met are 2nd and 3rd generation EC's...it really depends on the generation before...a good friend of mine is probably one of the smartest EC's I've had the pleasure of meeting...but he started working for his old man when he was 16 yrs old...and he's dug more ditches than many of us have ever seen....

i personally have been busting my ass 10-12 hrs day, 6 days a week for years...it allows my father to collect a check every week while he gets to hang out around the farm and play with his grandson...i personally could make $50-70k more per year if I went to work for someone else, but it would hurt everyone around me...so, I sacrifice a lot for the betterment of my parents and my son...but i make more than most, so, i'm good...

and yeah, i used to be intimate with a shovel...

I know the drill. It's great what you're doing. I did the same for years. Sisters all got forgiveness home loans from dad and put through collage.

My point is that not every bosses sons were (are) incapable. I wired my first building at 22, with no supervision or corrections. He made it. I have made it better. Not because I had it easy. Appart from hitting the beach at 19 in WWII (and the 24 months in the hospital). He has had it easier.:D

growler

so whatever happened with the OP and the building?

That's the point to many of the comments. The EC that bid the job super cheap didn't get the job because the "King of Cheap" GC had his doubts about the bid. Probably doesn't think him capable of finishing the project for the amount bid.

Now the poor guy is probably thinking, just how much money do I need to lose to get a job and so he will bid the next one even cheaper.

Sparky555

I recently bid jobs for two GCs at cost, just for fun because I rarely work for GCs. Business has picked up well and if I lost a little the rest of the work could absorb a small loss. Both are low-risk work. I assumed high productivity and neither job has been highly productive. It was an experiment I'm not sure I'd make a habit of. To the OP that price way way off and the GC was wise to pass on it.

Not that emahler has thin skin and needs moral support but I credit him with teaching some things in this forum & others that helped me through the toughest economy in my business life. I survived the longest slow spell ever because I had funds set aside to cover expenses and was still prepared when business turned around to hit the ground running. I'm now saving for the next slow spell. Lowering overhead has helped, but having a fund to survive withouit borrowing got me through.

Rewire

I recently bid jobs for two GCs at cost, just for fun because I rarely work for GCs. Business has picked up well and if I lost a little the rest of the work could absorb a small loss. Both are low-risk work. I assumed high productivity and neither job has been highly productive. It was an experiment I'm not sure I'd make a habit of. To the OP that price way way off and the GC was wise to pass on it.

Not that emahler has thin skin and needs moral support but I credit him with teaching some things in this forum & others that helped me through the toughest economy in my business life. I survived the longest slow spell ever because I had funds set aside to cover expenses and was still prepared when business turned around to hit the ground running. I'm now saving for the next slow spell. Lowering overhead has helped, but having a fund to survive withouit borrowing got me through.

A word of caution we are not out of the bad ecomony yet their is still another bear in the woods and thats commercial realestate this is just the eye of the storm

Sparky555

A word of caution we are not out of the bad ecomony yet their is still another bear in the woods and thats commercial realestate this is just the eye of the storm

Which is why I'm saving for the next slow spell. The housing market is still in terrible shape and unemployment is still high.

Status
Not open for further replies.