Lets see - what code section(s) could this be

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not see any Friday Night Pics, so I am subsituting it with this thread

1. first pic.
This box is installed in the exterior stone wall of the house. Are there any code issues?

boxsupportstone3.jpg

2. second pic. (2 pics of the same box)
This picture is on the same property as the first pic, but it is and exterior wall located out on the patio. Are there any code issues here?

boxsupportstone2.jpg

boxsupportstone1-1.jpg

3. third pic.
This picture is an outside stone wall of the house. Are there any code issues here?

BoxSupConcrete3.jpg

mdshunk

Photos of I.M. Weetodddid Electrical Contractor's work?

1) no connector
2) Wrong size Carflex for Romex; probably should be UF
3) Sheet metal screw for ground screw

LawnGuyLandSparky

NM cable in wet location.

4" raco stamped steel box not properly attached by any means, and 2 NM cables under one connector, though I'd let that slide.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually pull the nails from plastic 1-gang nail-on boxes and let the mason embed them while they're 'masoning'.

dcspector

Just a few at quick glance.......LFNC 90 connector going to be concealed 356.42, The octagon box listed for dry only 314.15 and subject to corrosion embedded in masonry is it listed for this 300.6?

Last edited:

cschmid

one pic #1 I see no bushing otherwise it looks good
#2 & #3 lets see nm exposed to moist conditions even inside of conduit. Is that legal for the carlon (ent) to be pinched in between the rebar? Where does the carlon (ent) come up through the concrete at? and is it list for direct burial in concrete, yep according to 362.10(6)so that is no issue..
#4 oops wrong box mad for inside work (dry location) must going to mount light to it. so If the box sealed by the light fixture can the box be suitable for a damp location?

cschmid

okay I need to be corrected on the last post as lfnc and ent are different..so than my question for picture #2 & #3 are is the lfnc subject to physical damage? I see it is rated for direct earth burial but nothing says it can be encased in concrete..although I see no issues with it..I personally don't use ent or lfnc I don't like the way the wires pull through it even with lubrication but for single circuit in home application it is okay..

mpd

everytime I see a weatherproof box, unless it is a contractor I already failed for it, they will always fail for no connector and no ground screw, must be a mental block

ryan_618

Although not perfectly clear in the 2005, the 2008 will clarify that the inside of a raceway in a wet location is considered to be a wet location. With that said, the NM cable is a violation in pictures 2 and 3.

micromind

It's hard to see, but it appears in pic #3 that the bare wire under the sheet metal screw is not actually grounded to anything. It might be one of the romex grounds looped under the screw, but it doesn't look like it. It actually looks like it's just stuffed back into the connector.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Pic 1: No grnd screw; no connector + looks like the plug on the bottom should be screwed in a little more.

Pic 2: No ROMEX allowed to be outside; no grnd screw and that box is not secured.

Pic 3: Not a grnd screw, not an exterior box.

jjhoward said:
Pic 1: No grnd screw; no connector + looks like the plug on the bottom should be screwed in a little more.

Pic 2: No ROMEX allowed to be outside; no grnd screw and that box is not secured.

Pic 3: Not a grnd screw, not an exterior box.

Are boxes permitted to be secured by using the motar mix or concrete mix?

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
Uh, yeah. That's the crux of how masonary boxes work. I'm not really sure that a bell box is especially suitable for that use, however, but I've done that myself.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Pierre,
It doesn't appear that would be permitted by 314.23, but I have never seen any other support used for a box in a masonry surface.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.