Lift Station Service sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Nice job by the way, and a nice spot to do it in from the looks of it. Were you not in Indiana I would have thought that was salt water behind it, hence the SS boxes. But I guess they just like to spend money eh?

I used to do these kinds of jobs in Washington State in really pretty settings like that. I'd be out on a Sunday drive in the countryside with my family and after a while of driving on back roads, my wife would turn to me and say "We're going to go look at another of your d@#^&* control panels again aren't we?" She was always right. I stopped after a while though because when she went back to work in a boring office, it made her jealous that I got to run around in nature for my job.

Thanks I guess they got tired of the old boxes turning into rust buckets, and it sure put a hurt on my cobalt step bits, and hand crank knock out punch set, and my arm,:roll:, and of course they used none better then 316 SS, the large control cabinet is 10 gauge, and the J box, is 12 gage, what a bear to KO, I know better next time, hydraulic punch set with SS KO's will be on hand.;)

The location is on the end of a peninsula the juts out in to the main lake with houses on both sides, very nice neighbor hood (and expensive) and this station before wasn't accessible by the utility's truck to pull pumps out because it was too far down the hill (now filled in), and as they are kind of large and about 800#'s in weight, so they raised it about 2' by adding rings to the pit, to bring it up to road level as you can see, this station pumps back up the road up a hill to a sub main then to another station to another larger station that pumps all the way to the master main that goes to the treatment plant, they have many of these around this subdivision, The last one I did had its own generator, and auto transfer along with a 3-phase service, I posted in another thread on that one, they are in the mode of updating them as they require major repairs, to modernize them, the next step is to introduce a constant velocity system to the ones with VFD's to save even more on the utility bills.

P.S. the morning I took these photos it was one of those very rare mornings (here), where the day before was about 70 deg's and dropped like a rock over night, causing a lake fog to come over the lake, it was about 43 deg's that morning, kind of gave it an errie feeling, also condensed water in the bottom of the J box for the little time I had it open.

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Not familiar with the Indiana requirements directly, but according to NFPA 820 a vent stack is not going to qualify as meeting the number of air changes per hour required to make it not classified.

In general a design we use, takes the conduits from the pit to a handhole installed at finished grade level. Then from the handole to the termination box. This creates an air break, and makes it so you don't need any seal offs on the motor cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.