lights dim when garb. disp. turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckscrew

Thanks for all the responses. I have another question. Yesterday I went to the apartment and plugged my skilsaw (13 amps) into the GD (8amps) outlet. When I turned on the saw the lights brightened for a split second and then returned to normal. When I turned on the GD the lights dimmed for a split second and then returned to normal.

Why would one tool make the light flicker brighter and the GD make the flicker dimmer?

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I turned on the saw the lights brightened for a split second and then returned to normal. When I turned on the GD the lights dimmed for a split second and then returned to normal.
Uh-oh. Now it's starting to sound like the GD receptacle is being supplied via a 3-wire circuit, and you have a neutral problem.

Is the GD plugged into one half of the receptacle and you plugged the saw into the other half, or did you use the same half as the GD?

Or, you could measure the voltage between the upper and lower hot-side slots of the receptacle..

quogueelectric

Uh-oh. Now it's starting to sound like the GD receptacle is being supplied via a 3-wire circuit, and you have a neutral problem.

Is the GD plugged into one half of the receptacle and you plugged the saw into the other half, or did you use the same half as the GD?

Or, you could measure the voltage between the upper and lower hot-side slots of the receptacle..

Watson I believe you have solved the case. Or at least warmer to the answer.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Status
Not open for further replies.