Local phone book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold

If your company phone is a real land line your in the www.whitepages.com
I don't think it covers cell phone based business!

Pretty sure he isn't a "cell phone based business" but ...

Print advertising still works but the acquisition cost is really high as opposed to web advertising. I was in 3 books up untill last year, I think I was paying about $1200 a month for those 3 and got between 10-15 calls per month but only converted about half to actual leads. (A lot of tire kickers) So I ended up with 5-7 estimates out of those. They close at about the same rate as anything else tho. IMO the acquisition cost is way too high.

rt66electric

Still in local phone book

Still in local phone book

Little-ol-ladies still use the phonebook

My yearly smalltown ad is approx $200 I do not advertise in the nearby big city.
Other contractors complain of too many "idiot looking for a cheap" calls.

When I needed a new landline, the phone company wanted big bucks for a line and more bucks for a "commercial listing"

However a "add-a-line" (similar to teenagers line) only cost $5 a month !!!!
Also your name is automatically added(without cost) to ALL of the white pages directories.

Still get a few calls from new and old customers on the landline.

Another helpfull hint.....

A lot on online search engines use the white pages for there reference.
Put your name in white pages and then it goes on the internet.

I have also traded a internet guru services for electrical parts.
Pay to have your name pumped once and it will stay out there for years.

ADV_Rik

Been in Biz Since 1993, 98% service and repair. Phone books work mostly in opinion you needed first or 2nd double truck add. I notice that most of our YP call come from seniors. We enjoy working for seniors for many reasons that is one reason our adds stay in the yp. Remember there are a lot of books out there now and it kind of feels like the last book out produces more calls Our Verizon comes out in NOV but then in Feb the yellow book comes out. Verizon is very expensive and is only the newest book for a few months so we prefer to advertise in the yellow book. In my opinion if you go, go big. Smaller than a 1/2 is total waste of money. Most of our business comes from repeat customers so even thought we might not have made as much profit for the yp as we wanted to, overall with repeat business included it was worth it. I'm in a medium market,big market area strategy will be different. I'm sorry about some of my sentences but it is hard to edit on this site.

growler

Does anyone advertise in the local phone book?

Along with the phone book maybe you could advertise on the side of of ice delivery trucks.

I wish I could afford to advertise on the side of ice delivery trucks.

There is proably more ice delivered now than back when people used ice boxes. Where do you think all that ice at gas stations, grocery stores and package stores comes from. Lots of coolers out there.

Big phone book adds are probably not the best form of advertising for most businesses. It's still not a bad idea to keep a line add in the local phone book. If you have a business phone line they give the line add for free. You can route calls from your land line to your cell phone when you are out.

A business line is tax deductable. 100% if you have another phone for personal use.

growler

When I needed a new landline, the phone company wanted big bucks for a line and more bucks for a "commercial listing"

What the phone companies don't tell you is that you can shop around for "commercial lines" and there are companies that offer cheap rates. You still get a free listing in the phone book or yellow pages.

Once you have a business listing they automatically list you on several internet sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.