lockout/tagout

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OSHA has separate lockout/tagout rules for construction and general industry (bearing in mind that even though you work in a general industy facility, the construction rules apply if you are doing work for "construction, alteration and repair, including painting and decorating." That allows equipment to be locked out for days or months at a time, as someone remarked above. ....
If you want to work in this plant you will follow their lockout rules. While I can't have a personal worker lock on the equipment if I am not their, I can have a transfer lock on it so there is the same level of safety as leaving my personal lock on it. The only difference, is that no work can be done on the equipment if there is a transfer lock on it. When we go back to work on the equipment the transfer lock has to be removed and replaced with a "worker" lock.

zog

:rotflmao:

Might have been easier to disconnect the machine upstream and scrap it out. I mean, if it's been locked out that long :) when's the next time you'll miss it?

It was a 15kV load break switch, not many "upstream" options. This was an alternate feed to a sub that obviously had not been used in a very long time.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
One Key To Rule Them All...

One Key To Rule Them All...

At a former place of employment the rule was one key only. New locks would always come in with two keys, and the Safey Manager would open up the package, take out one key, and put it in a small vise on a nearby bench. He'd then peen it over with a hammer and break it. IIRC, if the one key was lost while the lock was on a piece of equipment, they could only remove the lock if the employee to whom it was assigned was physically present. They're like that at an explosives plant! :lol:

wtucker

If you want to work in this plant you will follow their lockout rules.

There's nothing stopping any employer from establishing rules that are more strict than OSHA's, ANSI's or anyone else's. OSHA's regulations are considered minimum standards rather than best practices. My point was that employers who are writing plans may think that one set of OSHA rules applies when in fact another does. There are legitimate reasons why OSHA has separate rules for separate industries.

Last edited by a moderator:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you want to work in this plant you will follow their lockout rules./QUOTE]

There's nothing stopping any employer from establishing rules that are more strict than OSHA's, ANSI's or anyone else's. OSHA's regulations are considered minimum standards rather than best practices. My point was that employers who are writing plans may think that one set of OSHA rules applies when in fact another does. There are legitimate reasons why OSHA has separate rules for separate industries.
I understand that, but I am not convinced that the general industry lockout rules are really more strict than the construction ones for the application of new equipment. I think it is more strict to let me leave my lock on until the job is complete, but I don't have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.