Log home bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My suggestion to you if you do a rough only job is this.
Place in you contract a clause that states something like this: In the event of issues , problems, warranty the original contractor ____________ is to be contacted first to remidy the situation. Contact is to be made by telephone , email and a list provded back up by mail. The original contractor to be given a reasonable amount of time to correct and remidy the problem if it is in fact the original contractors reasonability. If the problem is not the fault of the original contractor the owner agrees to pay the reasonalbe amount to correct the problem........

sort of like that

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I never had much luck with rough-in only, no matter how well I explained 3/way switch (how the conductors were marked,), etc, the ho always seemed to call with problems, very time consuming.

So I started explaining how little they would save, the had to buy devices & covers and so were not saving the entire final draw. And started trying to draw all profit on rough-in. Sometimes it worked.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I never had much luck with rough-in only, no matter how well I explained 3/way switch (how the conductors were marked,), etc, the ho always seemed to call with problems, very time consuming.

So I started explaining how little they would save, the had to buy devices & covers and so were not saving the entire final draw. And started trying to draw all profit on rough-in. Sometimes it worked.

That is one reason I won't do it and there are many.

They will blame any issue they have on you.
You don't get a chance to make it right!
They will screw something up and cause problems in the future

480sparky

That is one reason I won't do it and there are many............

If I can't provide a turn-key operation, I don't get involved. They will screw up installing the 3-ways, and it will be your fault. They won't know how to hook up the AFCI breakers, and it will be your fault. The GFCIs will be wired backwards, and it will be your fault. They will install 300w lamps in the can lights, and you will get blamed for them flashing like a scoreboard. The leak in the roof will suddenly become your responsibility, as well as the brakes going bad on their car, the cat getting a urinary tract infection and their teen-age daughter becoming, well, 'in a family way'.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I did a log house a couple of years ago that was over 100 years old, I did the rough in and most of the trim out except for a couple of fans that the HO was not ready for. He said he would have his carpenter hang the last ones. Since the HO was a lawyer, I had him sign a paper relieving me from any warranty issues with those fans since I did not install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.