Looking for an opinion on service entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is heading in a direction I didn't want to but typically it is inevitable. To get back on topic and to use a simple example (sometimes I use too many words which adds too much confusion):

2 Family
1 panel in each unit served by its own meter
200A main in each panel (effectively 160A each)
Load calc for both units = 205A total (for example, not actual)
Sizing drip loop to meter pan SE for 300A is legit?

I guess the more I read through the code the more this seems fine. The confusion for me is that there seem to be specific things that address a single family (size your panel and SE to match your load calc), and 3 or more family where you do different calcs per unit and overall, but nothing specifically addressing 2 family. But now that I look again, it appears the "standard" multifamily calc applies to 2 fam, but the "optional" does not?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am going to put at least a temporary stop to this discussion. I will discuss with the other moderators the question of whether it should get opened again.

Since you stated earlier that you plan to install the branch circuit wiring, that crosses the line between designing a project and being a DIY installer. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Welcome to the Forum, but please limit your involvement to aspects of the profession that relate to your involvement in the profession.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am opening this thread only long enough to report that the moderators have agreed that this thread should remain closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.