Looking for experience with 10 - 15 year old MC connectors

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What has been your experience with 10-15 year old MC connectors that have not been disconnected since installation? I'm wondering how easy they are to disconnect, do the seals harden over time, and if reconnected do they still have a good seal? How well will an old MC connector mate with a new one? I have not had the chance to break into any old connectors.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
This is the PV forum. The OP is referring to a type of connector found on the leads on PV panels. Nothing to do with Metal Clad cable.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Ah. I have my shortcut go straight to New Posts, so I don't notice which topic the thread is under.
Likewise I go straight to New Posts. But the forum is listed under each thread on the New Post page. And it's also listed just above the thread title on each thread page, which for new threads should still be visible when you click through to the thread. (Edit: at least for the desktop interface. I didn't check the mobile version of the pages may differ.)

So it's not hard to check the forum when looking at a new thread.

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I can probably only speak to up to 10 years, but here goes...
What has been your experience with 10-15 year old MC connectors that have not been disconnected since installation? I'm wondering how easy they are to disconnect,
Sometimes moderately difficult, even with the right tool, but I never had to give up on one.

do the seals harden over time,
Yes, a bit, I guess? But the ones I've seen were still serviceable. Some seals are pretty stiff when new, too.

and if reconnected do they still have a good seal?
I think so?

How well will an old MC connector mate with a new one?
I think it will do fine. It might be moderately more difficult to plug an old positive plug into a new negative plug than vice versa. Because the seal is on the positive plug, and if the seal has hardened ...

My experience was mostly with micro-inverters, but also some string systems and optimizers.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm running into more repowering projects where the PV arrays might be around 15 years old. Usually, it's just swapping out inverters but sometimes it involves disconnecting the module connectors so I'm wondering if people have seen issues with the older connectors and if opening and reconnecting them is creating problems.

Carultch

I'm running into more repowering projects where the PV arrays might be around 15 years old. Usually, it's just swapping out inverters but sometimes it involves disconnecting the module connectors so I'm wondering if people have seen issues with the older connectors and if opening and reconnecting them is creating problems.
You might be looking at the old MC3 connectors, instead of the current industry norm of MC4 connectors.

The old MC3 connectors had ribbed rubber housings, instead of plastic plug-in shells. MC4 connectors require a brand-specific tool to take them apart, while MC3's could just be pulled apart directly.