Low Voltage Transformer Preventative Maintenance

Samuraii

New User
Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
Hi Guys,

Quick question for everyone, Ive got a very dusty under 1000v transformer in my plant that I am looking to clean. Is there any other safety measures that need to be taken other then locking out the upstream breaker? I was told by an engineer (mabye just to be cautious) to turn off all downstream breakers in the panel to avoid any backfeeding. He also mentioned using protective grounds on the X0 just to ensure if there was a groundfault it could not get backfed either. Thoughts?

kwired

Electron manager
If there is any sort of parallel power production equipment on the load side then I suppose the risk of backfeed is much higher.

Otherwise standby sytsems that are properly installed should not backfeed, nor should interactive inverters for PV or other sources as those tend to need to sense utility power before they will put out any power to the utility side, but might not be bad idea to isolate them anyway in case of malfunction.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Obviously, lockout or tagout, and verify no voltage. The need for shorts and grounds is site and application specific. For a small dry-type transformer like this, it's often not done. It's also pretty easy to open the secondary side main or feeder breakers. On the other hand, it wouldn't take long to install temporary grounding if there is any concern at all. I have experienced the thrill of having an on-site contractor cut a padlock off a breaker so he could close it. Fortunately, no one was injured.

Accidental backfeed of a transformer secondary has caused incidents in the past, especially control power and potential transformers.