LV above Commercial Kitchen

DasMrDomo

Occupation
M.E.P. Engineer
Hi all,

I ran into a bit of a gray area with low volt and kitchens, and would love some input on the matter.

We are converting portions of office space into a "kitchen", for that reason the space will need to be enclosed and fire rated to the decking. Unfortunately there is a substantial amount of networking and control LV above the ceiling tile for that area.

Am I correct assuming all that LV needs to be protected if it were to stay?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I assume this is a commercial job...Is that correct? Also is the ceiling a plenum? I assume nm cable like romex is not involved here.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't think changing the space to a kitchen changes anything if you already had a hung ceiling with wiring above it. Usually you just install fire-rated ceiling tiles.

-Hal

DasMrDomo

Occupation
M.E.P. Engineer
I assume this is a commercial job...Is that correct? Also is the ceiling a plenum? I assume nm cable like romex is not involved here.
Commercial is correct, no Romex, all existing electrical is in MC conduit, but all LV is just sitting above ceiling tile. Ceiling cavity is not used as a plenum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LV is fine except it may be required to be fastened. I have seen many jobs were the LV was just thrown up there and was lying on the grid. I believe you can just ty-wrap it to the ceiling wires. Some of the commercials guys should jump in here.