MC Install

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Within an existing space that's gutten and getting completely renovated with drop ceiling do you more often attached MC cable to the ceiling pencil rod or other ceiling supports or install an independant support from ceiling above?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is a ceiling contractor going to be installing new wires?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
300.11 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabi‐
nets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place.
(B) Wiring Systems Installed Above Suspended Ceilings.
Support wires that do not provide secure support shall not be
permitted as the sole support. Support wires and associated
fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in
addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as
the sole support. Where independent support wires are used,
they shall be secured at both ends. Cables and raceways shall
not be supported by ceiling grids.

Within an existing space that's gutten and getting completely renovated with drop ceiling do you more often attached MC cable to the ceiling pencil rod or other ceiling supports or install an independant support from ceiling above?
I am not disputing what has been said about ceiling wires, but in my experience, I very rarely attach MC to ceiling wires, whether they be "my wires" or grid wires. I would rather staple to framing members, zip tie to a pipe/emt, or install a running board. Besides, for new work the grid and wires wont be there when you are doing most of your wiring.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since he mentioned pencil rod so there are no ceiling wires. If the pencil rod is installed we use it but generally the majority of the cables are pulled before the lather is even on the job so the MC is supported on bridle rings.

macmikeman

The code says to not attach to grid ceiling wires. It doesn't say anything about hooking to the loop on the pin that supports the ceiling wire. That is what I often do using tie wraps. I agree that there is room to argue this, but I think I am on solid ground cause the support pins are not mentioned in the code book. Get er done.

The code says to not attach to grid ceiling wires. It doesn't say anything about hooking to the loop on the pin that supports the ceiling wire. That is what I often do using tie wraps. I agree that there is room to argue this, but I think I am on solid ground cause the support pins are not mentioned in the code book. Get er done.
Yeah I agree that should not be an issue. I got into an argument with an inspector about that once, I said what if I installed a half inch expansion bolt with a big forged eye bolt on it rated 20,000 lbs? At what point could that support the grid and my MC support? 🙄

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It doesn't say anything about hooking to the loop on the pin that supports the ceiling wire.
I've never worked with support wires so can you explain how that doesn't that defeat the purpose of not allowing the weight of the cable to actually be supported by the same thing that is holding up the ceiling? From my understanding the support wires from their fastener down to the grid are part of a listed ceiling system that is not designed to support the additional weight of the cable so how is attaching to the loop any different than attaching to the wire?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
After the "Northridge Earthquake" happened, we were called to our Maintenance Contract properties to put everything back together. Not one "Ceiling Grid" survived ... all ended up on the floor !

January 17, 1994 ...

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Since he mentioned pencil rod so there are no ceiling wires. If the pencil rod is installed we use it but generally the majority of the cables are pulled before the lather is even on the job so the MC is supported on bridle rings.
Bridle rings attached to slab/deck?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
After the "Northridge Earthquake" happened, we were called to our Maintenance Contract properties to put everything back together. Not one "Ceiling Grid" survived ... all ended up on the floor !

January 17, 1994 ...

The only item that was left hanging, was the light fixtures.