Meet and Greet: Left Coast, USA

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Meet and Greet: Left Coast, USA

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I changed the name of Brian's thread to include the name of the town, to pique anyone's interest in the thread nearby.

If you want to start one up for Cali, you have my blessing. :)

sounds good.... i'll start a thread for a left coast deal..... looking at the
map 480 sparky threw up, it looks like the best location for us would be
las vegas...

however, for these regional deals, the smart thing would be to find out

1. who's ***really*** gonna come.
2. where they live.
3. map a location based on that, rather
than an arbitrary place like vegas...
4. a date most can make it.

however, if we did go to vegas, it would be tax deductible.... :D
a mike holt regional code forum.
and bellagio's room service menu is second to none....:smile:
+++ WHAT DO YOU MEAN? OF COURSE BELLAGIO'S IS A DEDUCTIBLE
EXPENSE..... I WAS ***NETWORKING***!!!

failing that, there is of course the waterfront hilton, or the hyatt resort
in huntington beach.....:D

and lest we forget, in these prosperous times, some financial constraints
may be imposed on those of us whose phone isn't ringing off the hook...

ok, everyone on the left coast, southwest and all, if ya want to do this
in the next 6 weeks or so, put your name and where you live on this thread,
so we can get an idea where to put this. personally, i'll roll as far as frisco.

who's in:

Randy Allen - FulThrotl - Huntington Beach, CA

480sparky

Whenever one puts a gathering like this together there's certain facts that you will have to face:

1. There will be those who are all fired up to attend, say they'll be there will bated breath and bells on, then never show up. "NASCAR was on TV" or "I had to mow the lawn" or "I lost my watch".... the feeblest excuse will be offered.

2. In no way will you be able to 'settle' on a date. Pick an arbitrary date. Trying to ask every possible attendee for a possible date makes setting a date impossible.

3. Choosing a location in the same manner will also be an exercise in futility. Everyone will suggest some place close to them.

4. Much discussion will ensue as to what will transpire at these gatherings. Some will want to just sit and have dinner. Others will want a program or a speaker. Still others want it to be a week-long convention. Will it all be trade-related, or will other activities, such as sight-seeing, be included?

5. Not everyone here is rolling in dough. Don't expect to book the most luxurious hotel in town and expect everyone to merrily pony up. Pick a location that offers a variety of lodging options.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The IAEI has one of these every year for your Section. That's how I've gotten to know a lot of the guys around here and in the neighboring states.

76nemo

Whenever one puts a gathering like this together there's certain facts that you will have to face:

1. There will be those who are all fired up to attend, say they'll be there will bated breath and bells on, then never show up. "NASCAR was on TV" or "I had to mow the lawn" or "I lost my watch".... the feeblest excuse will be offered.

2. In no way will you be able to 'settle' on a date. Pick an arbitrary date. Trying to ask every possible attendee for a possible date makes setting a date impossible.

3. Choosing a location in the same manner will also be an exercise in futility. Everyone will suggest some place close to them.

4. Much discussion will ensue as to what will transpire at these gatherings. Some will want to just sit and have dinner. Others will want a program or a speaker. Still others want it to be a week-long convention. Will it all be trade-related, or will other activities, such as sight-seeing, be included?

5. Not everyone here is rolling in dough. Don't expect to book the most luxurious hotel in town and expect everyone to merrily pony up. Pick a location that offers a variety of lodging options.

Maybe I am just a field geek. I would love to get together and talk shop over hunting and fishing. If an advance notice is sprung, than I will attend. I could give a flying hoot about dinner and luxuries. I just want all of us to get together and talk about work and different fields. I know alot of you do this for income. I am fortunate in the aspect that I am in this field due to passion.

I would LOVE to be able to meet with people like brian john, zog, winnie, ptonsparky, Pierre, gar, ELA, electricalperson, etc, and so on, and so forth, the list goes on. I would consider this a vacation, not a formal meeting. I am ALL for it!!!!!!

So,....... can we make this happen?

Can we please consider this???

ibew441dc

Randy,

The weather is always terrible, the women are ugly, and the electricians are some of the worst in the nation......Why the heck would somebody want to come here:grin::grin: (obviously I'm joking) I would be very interested in attending, if the timing was right.

480sparky

I've produced a simple web site I'm willing to maintain to gather & disperse information about these get-togethers.

Click here. Be sure to save it in your Favorites list because it won't show up an a search engine.

Anyone wanting to 'sponsor' a meeting can send me whatever information they have, and I'll post it there.

Fulthrotl

Randy,

The weather is always terrible, the women are ugly, and the electricians are some of the worst in the nation......Why the heck would somebody want to come here:grin::grin: (obviously I'm joking) I would be very interested in attending, if the timing was right.

kevin in vegas sent me an email about being willing to help..... so
he'd be a likely culprit for his vast knowledge and vegas connections...

480 sparky did bring up some valid points about doing one of these....
set date, time, and place, and then see who is interested...... so here
goes....

pick a date: saturday, april 25.
pick a location: vegas, baby, vegas!
pick a time: 5pm ~ ?
pick a bailbondsman: optional at attendees discretion :D

ibew441dc

goes....

Right now I can't commit to any road trips........but I am notorious for doing things, spur of the moment.
Are there any electrical conventions coming up soon,on the West coast? We just missed Electric West(Vegas). I really wanted to go....had reservations and all , had to back out last minute.

KevinVost

goes....

I spoke with Fulthrotl and we picked an random date and a location (see above)- ANYONE interested shoot me a PM and I'll put you down. The actual meeting place (resturaunt?) will be determined once we know how many we need to plan for. This will be real casual, BTW its VEGAS!!!

Fulthrotl

Right now I can't commit to any road trips........but I am notorious for doing things, spur of the moment.
Are there any electrical conventions coming up soon,on the West coast? We just missed Electric West(Vegas). I really wanted to go....had reservations and all , had to back out last minute.

shoot, it's a tank of gas... rooms are dirt cheap according to kevin......
it's not like you gotta teach a CLASS or anything...:D

'sides, if you go, we can talk about you in front of your back, instead of
behind your back.

480sparky

I did a quick search on the net and yielded strip (Las Vegas Bvld) hotels for Sat night at $150+ and off strip hotels from < $60 - $100+.

Maybe everyone can stay at your house.
smiley_sleepblanket.gif
:grin:

Stay off the strip and Fremont Street, and you can really find some deals. I sleep just as well and the Hampton Inn as I would at Caeser's Palace.

One thing to avoid in Vegas: National conventions. Prices go through the roof when something big like CES comes to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.