Metal siding and government jobs

Zeusmatt67

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I’ve been following Mike Holt for a long time but just recently signed up for the forums so this is my first post. I’m a 30 year electrical contractor and I’m fairly well versed in code but I can’t find a definitive answer to the scenario I’m about to describe. This is also the same scenario I’m now running into non a second job.

I just recently finished a government building for a medical clinic where one of the last requirements was to measure ground resistances to all surfaces within a 72 inch radius of the main service. During the course of construction the general contractor installed the building exterior finish before the main service was installed. The exterior finish consisted of metal lap siding. The siding is rectangular sheets of metal with folded edges that hold it 1/4 or more off the building framing or moisture barrier, the sheets lap over each other and cover the entire structure all the way up to and over the roof parapet walls. The siding is also in contact with the metal staircase running from the first floor to the roof.
I had asked the general contractor to have the metal siding behind the switchgear left out and to either stucco or use wood siding where my gear was going to be attached to the wall. The general contractor or refused to comply and told me to just bolt my gear to the siding which I did. The inspectors for the facility were “in house” federally hired inspectors and did not see a problem with the installation although they did say they were only looking at items the feeeral agency was concerned with.
There is no way to effectively ground metal lap siding covering the entire surface of the building and my concern is that any kind of atmospheric event like lightning or any kind of fault in my equipment could be extended to the metal siding or staircase. Anyone touching any of the surface of the building could suffer injury or worse in the event of a catastrophic fault. I took my meter to the siding and its surface is conductive over the entire structure of the building.
Does my bolting the main switch cabinet to the siding count as an effective ground fault path even though there is no mechanical connection between siding plates?
Sone information I should have given at the start:
Building service is an 800 amp 277/480 volt service with a step down transformer sitting next to the stand up section. The stand up section is bolted to the wood wall and nipples from the gear extend into the electrical room panels directly behind the gear itself. There is a 277/480 to 120/208 150 kva transformer sitting next to the outside gear that has conduit extending through the metal siding to panels in the electrical room behind both the gear and the transformer.
This installation is in the bottom of the Grand Canyon on a Native American reservation and was inspected by independent inspectors hired by the customer.
No one seemed to care about the grounding issues I was raising except for me.
I’m just trying to determine what the best solution for the issue would have been. The job is done and gone so this isn’t about fixing something it’s about what to do the next time I encounter this situation as metal siding seems to be the way some customers are choosing to go currently. Can anyone offer a specific code that addresses this issue or point me in the right direction? I can’t find anything specifically regarding this in 250 at all.

Zeusmatt67

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Please ignite the spelling and punctuation errors as this was done from a jobsite on my phone.
The switchgear is touching or opted through the metal lap siding on the previous post which was not really mentioned.

You wouldn’t? Even though it shows continuity to the gear ?
Don't take this as a snarky response, but you know metal siding and metal roofing is not exactly an uncommon thing. How many millions of buildings are there that have this? Other than this occasionally coming up on the forum, I don't recall ever seeing siding attempted to be bonded in real life or any problems or anybody worrying about it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The typical horizontal lap metal siding does not really have continuity between the various pieces. This picture has the hot wire connected to the left siding section and the neutral to the adjoining section. If there was continuity between the pieces, that would have resulted in a short. If this type of siding needs to be bonded, you would have to bond each individual piece.
1710264563548.jpeg

__dan

Banned
Reading that, in my opinion, your concerns are non issues.

You do not have to worry about atmospheric issues. Their insurer covers acts of God. A direct lighting strike can expect to cause some damage no matter what you do. Same for a nearby strike. It will appear all over and blow out the fragile stuff like pc boards and electronics.

The siding usually has a coating that may be nominally insulating. It is not used for a fault return path, *nor is it normally powered*. If it plugged in to the supply like a heater, that you would have to ground. It is non powered equipment. It does usually get haphazardly connected to ground by having grounded stuff bolted to it, but not by a requirement. Your gear bolted to the siding is fine and normal by convention.

Not sure if there was more to it than that. Nothing to worry about. Metal siding like galvalume or similar is actually an excellent material. They chose well.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My opinion only.

The nec does cover this kind of thing, other than perhaps requiring bonding within five feet of a swimming pool.

The nec does not require any lightning protection at all, and in any case bonding the metal panels together would not give you any additional protection from lightning.

I think it is appropriate to bond the equipment you are supplying to the siding it is attached to but it seems to me the mounting screws would probably be adequate bonding.

I cannot think of any practical way to bond metal siding. It seems to me that the standing seam often found with metal roofing effectively bonds those pieces of metal together.

MCosentino87

Occupation
Electrical Designer
From the NEC 2020 Handbook 250.116 (p.221) "Metal siding on buildings is outside the scope of the NEC and, therefore, is not subject to the requirements for grounding and bonding."