Mini breaker fuses, how are they??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember now, about 25 years ago this old-timer used 2 100 W bulbs in series as a voltage tester.. if they glowed dimly, it was 110 or thereabouts, if they glowed brightly it was 220.
And Lesson 2 was what would happen if two different bulb wattages were used.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
And Lesson 2 was what would happen if two different bulb wattages were used.

Man, I used to be much smarter...(I think)
Two resistors in series, don't deal with that much, I either have
to go back to the books, or try an experiment :-?

I picked up a 'mini breaker fuse' made by copper bussmann has anyone ever tried these and how do you feel about them?? I thought maybe I would help a friend out by saving a few bucks by not haveing to keep buying fuses in the future, at least until the money comes in for the panel to be swapped out.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6417430

Beware: sometimes the reset button sticks out too far, and the door of the fuse box will not close properly, which can in turn cause the circuit to go on and off (or just stay off). I found this out many years ago by trial and error.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Lemme know. I'll have an answer ready. :)

I took pigtails to work with me to test this.
However, things got hectic.

I am guessing lower resistance (smaller W) bulb might glow more brightly since it would have a higher voltage across it ?

Or does it explode :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am guessing lower resistance (smaller W) bulb might glow more brightly since it would have a higher voltage across it ?
Guess again. ;)

The lower-wattage bulb (which is of a lower power because less current flows) has a higher resistance that the higher-wattage bulb. You're correct that the smaller bulb (but, with the higher resistance) will have the higher voltage drop across it.

Or does it explode :grin:
If the difference is great enough, it could. Usually, the filament just burns open.

mivey

I remember now, about 25 years ago this old-timer used 2 100 W bulbs in series as a voltage tester.. if they glowed dimly, it was 110 or thereabouts, if they glowed brightly it was 220.
I use a 220-240 volt 40-60W bulb. Also, I don't like the 100W 120 volt because they are too bright.

aelectricalman

What ever happened to just using a penny?

What ever happened to just using a penny?

No seriously, don't try this a home!

Status
Not open for further replies.