Minimum height outdoor disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

....... My rebuttal was, why would you have to work on the AC with two feet of snow on the ground?

3 years ago, I wired one of those mini-gyms that are open 24/7 in a strip mall. After one year, the gas company showed up to inspect the gas lines.... they were convinced the tenant was stealing natural gas. Seems there was enough BTUs between the lighting & people that the furnace was never run.... it was a/c for over a year.

I've also heard stories that there are no furnaces / heaters in the Mall of America, and that's up where there's nothing between it and the North Pole 'cept a barbed-wire fence.

jetlag

The min height for an outside service disconnect for a mobile home 24" , so I just use that on other things also if possible . Sounds good to me . as far as I know that is the only min in the code. The poco min is only for the meter socket , not the disconnect below it .

kwired

Electron manager
My guess is most inspectors here want to see disconnects at that height as a minimum because of snow drifts, etc. They can use something as easy as "physical damage from water / ice", etc to fail but most take existing conditions into account - did you really have no other option?

You could always use NEMA 12 instead of 3R enclosure if you are worried about deep snow. I have never seen much of a problem with snow. When it melts it runs down the sides of the enclosure just like rain water does.

I really don't know why the min height for moblie homes. I really don't think it is snow, if it is because of snow - why? I have seen places where 10 feet above ground would still be buried in snow. One of them was about 300 feet from my house last winter.

If snow is in front of it there is a violation of 110.26 but easily fixed in less than a minute...

Is it? .............

Only in Florida:grin:

jetlag

Well they could pass a code that the panel can only be installed as low as the electrician can go down on the limbo stick, now a days there would be lots of clearance on mine, I would be more worried about the 6 - 7 max on the breaker:grin::grin:

cpal

Here they can use other standards to fail an electrical inspection..

I disagree

In Mass some inspectors (as in my town) inspect according to the MEC AND to the utilty's (a municipal one in my town) standard. What if it's a cold sequence metering situation?..

An inspector appointed under 166.32 does not inspect for the utility. they can advise an installer if they wish.

The very first service upgrade I did was on my own home, the original meter was installed 30" to the bottom of the enclosure and I installed the new one there because I didn't want to hunt down a funky shade of lime green vynal siding to cover the holes. I flunked the inspection because of the "utility's" guidelines not the MEC- there's no minimum height spelled out directly for meter installations in the MEC..

Thats fine but thats a utility issue

I did manage to talk the utility to accept it because it had been at that height for 75 years prior, the inspector still refused to sign the card though..

So I guess the municipal inspector did not fail the installation after all????

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.