More Chinese Drywall

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

I based my opinion on an article titled Side Effects May Vary, damage from drywall, part 2 by David Shapiro in the October issue of Electrical Contractor Magazine writer@davidelishapiro.com

It is very simple, if his insurance company or AHJ requires it, then it is not a choice, many insurers will not renew until all plumbing and electrical is replaced. It really is not a call you have to make.

iMuse97

At this point, it appears the insurance companies are not covering this.

but the customer is covering the costs? sounds like good work, easy.
Demo the old, and pull new in right behind it. just tape/identify the old stuff as it comes out, and maybe ID the new stuff on the way in, to keep it all separate.

satcom

At this point, it appears the insurance companies are not covering this.

No they are not covering it, but in order for him to renew his insurance, they will most likley require him to replace all plumbing AC and electrical, that is what he need to know, what is required for him to get insured, also check with your AHJ and inquire what is needed to meet inspection.

Last edited:

jrannis

No they are not covering it, but in order for him to renew his insurance, they will most likley require him to replace all plumbing AC and electrical, that is what he need to know, what is required for him to get insured, also check with your AHJ and inquire what is needed to meet inspection.

Good suggestion, Ill call the chief tomorrow

ptrip

This is what I've read recently. Folks are calling their insurers, they aren't covering it, but then they are cancelling the coverage until everything is replaced. A terrible 1-2 punch to the homeowner.

The insurance company's stance is that they carry insurance, not warranty. Bad drywall was installed, that's a warranty issue, not an insurance issue. But the fact that the drywall is there is risking the installation of everything else inside. This greatly raises their insurance risk, so they cancel the policy until the risk is gone.

Not a fun situation ... that's for sure!

dhamman

We are doing several Chinese Drywall rewires. In instances where insurance companies are involved they want the Romex replaced so they don't have to worry 5 years down the road that they should have because no one has decided on the correct repair yet. Our City lets us just clean the bare grounds but they also inspect like a normal Rough In before the new drywall is installed. Our County makes a engineer spec the correct repair on the permit app and because no one knows the correct repair yet , the wiring gets replaced. If you are going to all the trouble to remove all devices, light fixtures, ceiling fans etc before the bad drywall is removed and then come back and retrim and hang everything again, how much more does it cost to go ahead and replace the Romex?

I think its ethical but I work and live in the No 2 most foreclosed area of the country and if not for Chinese drywall we would not be working.

This is what I've read recently. Folks are calling their insurers, they aren't covering it, but then they are cancelling the coverage until everything is replaced. A terrible 1-2 punch to the homeowner.

The insurance company's stance is that they carry insurance, not warranty. Bad drywall was installed, that's a warranty issue, not an insurance issue. But the fact that the drywall is there is risking the installation of everything else inside. This greatly raises their insurance risk, so they cancel the policy until the risk is gone.

Not a fun situation ... that's for sure!

Years ago, insurance companies made money in the market, and did not have to worry as much in regards to making such stockpiles of money via the actual insurance method. Today the way of making boatloads of money has shrunk, and they actually are left with trying to make boatloads of money via insurance sales.

With that said, I cannot see how they can just dump a customer and then take them back when the coast is clear...
I wonder if a call to the commission is necessary if what you are describing is true.

GUNNING

The term you are looking for is actuary tables. If Insurance companies could interpret actuary tables correctly they would know when aberrations occur and alter there business model. What we have are companies that are using marketing strategies to price there product and advertising till they become profitable. Thats not insurance, thats a Ponzi scheme. Something accepted and encouraged on wall street.

On a side note I threw away a bucket of joint compound because it had black crystals on the surface and smelled really bad. I think its just not the drywall that will be found bad but the joint compound also.

Cavie

The term you are looking for is actuary tables. If Insurance companies could interpret actuary tables correctly they would know when aberrations occur and alter there business model. What we have are companies that are using marketing strategies to price there product and advertising till they become profitable. Thats not insurance, thats a Ponzi scheme. Something accepted and encouraged on wall street.

On a side note I threw away a bucket of joint compound because it had black crystals on the surface and smelled really bad. I think its just not the drywall that will be found bad but the joint compound also.

There is no problem with the joint compound. It is in the makeup of the board itself. The compounds come from other places. In Florida it is the builder being held responsible. Most of the reputable ones that are still in business have stepped up and moved the people out and gutted the homes and started over from bare framing. Any and all copper is being replaced. No exceptions. The owners who's builders have gone out of business are the ones who suffer. The government is trying to come up with some kink of relief. Imagion 50 empty new houses 2 years old in one subdivision. You can buy a new empty house real cheap. Be perpared to gut it. Lawsuits are countless. Builders suing suppliers. Suppliers suing manufacturers. Class actions suits against the chinese manufaturers. Good luck with that. It is a VERY large sad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.