More Friday Pictures - Splices behind the walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

torcho

Violation

Violation

In the first picture, they didn't fasten the cable within 8" of the box...hacks. Everything else looks ok.:grin:

iaov

I've met this guy at the bar many times. Always happy to tell me what a great electrician he is, and how he didn't need any of that stupid "edumication"!Of course he is drooling on himself too.:D

PCN

The professionals at HOME ***** said you should use tape on all wire nuts. They know everything because they are professionals.

I had a guy at that same place once tell me as I was buying 3/4" liquidtight, to "glue pvc male adapters on the liquidtight instead of a liquidtight connector, it's cheaper that way" he said. :confused::confused:

I said "that would be a code violation sir", he said "look buddy I been doing this for a long time, I know what works". He swore up and down that was the way to do it. Where do they get these people?

monkey

Those are the most poorly done splices I have ever seen. Even a first year handyman knows you don't waste red wirenuts when 50 cent tape will do. And to top it off, they didn't even encase it all in mud. Losers.

quogueelectric

These were found in an apartment complex built about 10 years ago. Unrelated to these illegal splices behind the walls, the center core and adjacent units burned. It was arson.

I can't figure out why the contractor did what he did. Any ideas?

We found them in four units so we are requiring either they remove the gyp boards in the suspicious areas or use a remote camera through holes in the walls to find what we suspect are more just like these. The rest of the complex wasn't too bad. All #12 copper, #2 unit feeders, etc.

RC

Beginers cant wire the devices and loose the slack in the box I will bet there is no slack at all in the boxes so they prewired the boxes and made splices outside of the wall comfortably.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen this guy's work before.... (Found in a house I just bought, also saw two more similar splices in the attic.)

S_DSCN0738.JPG
Isn't what he did better than loosening a staple? :cool:

nakulak

It appears to me that all the box heights might have been lowered perhaps to meet ADA, but someone didn't want to pay to rewire the apartments properly?

icesoft

Plumbers can play "Spot the Violation" with this as well..... Can anyone spot the T&P? ;)
I can, and the lever is up, opening the watts valve. Plus, the outlet is a tad short, and crimped.

House was a foreclosure, vandalized while I was waiting on the selling bank to decide how badly they wanted the house off their books. Lazy amateur copper theives left nearly all of the copper pipe (except for the T&P line and the run to the kitchen sink), and left a lot of the romex in the ceiling joists...

peter d

Devil's advocate:

How is that any different from a K&T splice buried in the wall? (I know it's not soldered and taped, but a wirenut can make just as a good a connection when properly applied. )

:D

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I had a guy at that same place once tell me as I was buying 3/4" liquidtight, to "glue pvc male adapters on the liquidtight instead of a liquidtight connector, it's cheaper that way" he said. :confused::confused:

I said "that would be a code violation sir", he said "look buddy I been doing this for a long time, I know what works". He swore up and down that was the way to do it. Where do they get these people?

I came across an installation like that a couple years ago, I had the exact same response as you did and told my boss. He said it wasn't uncommon years back to glue MA's onto the gray pvc flex. Supposedly it holds:-?

Jim W in Tampa

I came across an installation like that a couple years ago, I had the exact same response as you did and told my boss. He said it wasn't uncommon years back to glue MA's onto the gray pvc flex. Supposedly it holds:-?

It's time to evalute who your working for. Do you lower yourself to his level or find a new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.