Multi Dwelling Load Calcs 210.84

Status
Not open for further replies.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Mr Owner wants to save some money so deletes all A/C units within the building.
Mr Contractor comes back and tells the Owner yeah you are going to save on the mechanical side of things but do to this revised equation even though you are shedding load we will actually have to upsize A: the PG&E service requiring the dry vault to expand an additional 20' resulting in you the Owner losing the rent on at least 1 unit. B: Additional PG&E fees. C: 4th Switchboard D: Upsizing Wire ect ect.

Novel idea...tell the owner to take out the A/C, but add in a 2' electric baseboard in the bathroom in each unit. Then you have electric space heating in each unit and 220.84 applies.

And you might even be able to downsize the electric equipment.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That was using 220.42 when using the standard method, not the optional method.

The OP's non-A/C calc used the standard method and the with-A/C calc used the optional method.
I'll give you that... but it still needs to be stated.

Last edited:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I cannot believe they would not install a/c in a new dwelling, even in Connecticut.

I recently did some apartments w/o A/C, but we at least had receptacle provisions for tenants to plug in an window A/C. It was a HUD project though. I can't think of any I've done for private developers without A/C.

Bignose94015

I recently did some apartments w/o A/C, but we at least had receptacle provisions for tenants to plug in an window A/C. It was a HUD project though. I can't think of any I've done for private developers without A/C.

San Francisco Weather. A/C would only be needed 10 days at max out of the year.

Base board heaters do not meet title 24 out here in CA.

Looks like it is just one of those things. I cant justify it to myself but hey i dont write the code just abide by it.

Thanks for all teh input and look forward to trying to help out this community.

Thanks

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.