Multiple GFI outlets tripping after a panel upgrade, Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

The GFIs have tripped about 5 times over the last 2 months but this is about 5 different ones in different locations? I will check to see if the GFI Neutrals are wire nutted together then a tap to the line side of the GFI as this does not make sense on how they work as they would just have neutral in and hot in and that would be it even if the where on MWBC as long the 5ma is measured on what is going out and coming back in.

So any other ideas or things you think I should check besides what I want to do which is take them out and check how they are wired???

So this is pre-existing or not? You said you did the service 2 weeks ago. What gfi's tripped 5 times in 2 months, one, more than one? That's an awful lot, once every 12 days or so.

GerryB

So this is pre-existing or not? You said you did the service 2 weeks ago. What gfi's tripped 5 times in 2 months, one, more than one? That's an awful lot, once every 12 days or so.

opps, just re read your post. I had a problem once with a mwbc on a panel change, didn't involve a gfi. If you are talking more then one circuit it doesn't seem like it would be the gfi's themselves.

gfi problems

gfi problems

Well I do not know if these are the gifs that turn off when there is a power outage I don't think so but I can turn off the breakers to see when I go out there next. I did change one gfi out and it had no load connections just a romex 12/2 feeding it so the owner is going to check this one to see if it trips the next time he sees that they have tripped. These are not on split breakers ie the phasing is correct but either way this is at the end of a line and still trips the outlet??? Hopefully this one does not trip when the others do then we will know the others took a hit and are no longer working correct.

kwired

Electron manager
Well I do not know if these are the gifs that turn off when there is a power outage I don't think so but I can turn off the breakers to see when I go out there next. I did change one gfi out and it had no load connections just a romex 12/2 feeding it so the owner is going to check this one to see if it trips the next time he sees that they have tripped. These are not on split breakers ie the phasing is correct but either way this is at the end of a line and still trips the outlet??? Hopefully this one does not trip when the others do then we will know the others took a hit and are no longer working correct.
The style that must be reset whenever power is interrupted is required for portable protective type applications like in an extension cord. They are made in a standard wall receptacle frame but they are not common to find and they will cost more than the "standard" wall receptacle types.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The style that must be reset whenever power is interrupted is required for portable protective type applications like in an extension cord. They are made in a standard wall receptacle frame but they are not common to find and they will cost more than the "standard" wall receptacle types.
I finally realized why this type of operation is required.
If the portable cord gets the neutral only disconnected, there will be no power at the gfci to activate the detector circuit and trip the relay when there is a line to ground fault. If the GFCI only required power to be present for the reset operation but did not trip on removal of power, it could lead to an unsafe condition downstream when the cord feeding the GFCI is damaged or partially disconnected.
For hard wired GFCIs this is far less likely to happen and the reduced drain and/or lower cost of the mechanically held relay is advantageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.