• I work for someone else

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I worry that having signage on my truck makes me a target

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

A lettered truck certainly does leave you vulnerable to the pushy salesman, however, many people call from that signage that are legitimate customers. I've had customers call ne sitting in traffic, get out the car behind me at the bank and get cards, or write down your number because you're at the neighbor's house (keepinig up with the joneses)

480sparky

This would assume they can read. :)

What is 'read'?
5.gif

mcclary's electrical

And for the salesman, if they're TOO PUSHY, I set up a lunch date with them,,,,and then don't go,,,,program their number in my phone as "do not answer". They usually don't bug me anymore

e57

This would assume they can read. :)
When my van had windows in the back - (KEY WORD "WHEN" & "HAD") I had signage saying, "Doors can not be opened from inside." Low and behold several idiots tried....

Anyway I don't have any (since I worked for other people) but am thinking of putting up a shingle so to speak - since I am no longer employed.... Then again I am also thinking of, among other things a DBA fictisious name change....

Last edited:

Cavie

No name on the truck looks like a shady operation. Here today gone tomorow. Not the law in Florida but if you do put your name on, it must have your license # on it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
as for being a target, i showed up monday morning to find one of the windows in the van had a beer bottle thrown through it.

thought leaving it parked out front would be cheap advertising.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First off, it's a law here in NJ. The name of your company and license # must appear on the truck. Technically, the license holder's name and license # is supposed to be in 3" letters but for some reason that's not strictly enforced.

Anyway, IMHO having a neat truck with quality lettering, logo, etc. on the sides and back shows people (potential customers) that you're doing well. Your chances of getting a job or referral are better than if you bought some piece of junk van and wrote your company name on the side with a crayon. Appearances mean a lot

Minuteman

Ran into Lowe's the other day to grab some hardware. There was a Plumber's Pick-Up in the lot. Nice looking truck, side boxes, company name, a WH manufacturer's logo, no phone number, no license number. His pipe rack was full of pvc and there was a new WH in the bed.

I don't know why he would letter the truck and leave off the license number. State law requires it on all trucks that haul tools and material to a job. Also, why leave off a phone number?

masterinbama

We've got a 1 man company here that I do Electrical for. He has licenses in plumbing hvac and minor construction (Alabama has a limited GC license for non structural work) He is very good at what he does and loves being a 1 man show. When he bought his new truck his wife suggested he put under all of his other info this phrase "I will do what your husband won't". It only took about 2 weeks of varying propositions that he had that removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.