NEC Code section Required

aelec84

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello Forum,

Can someone please guide me to the right NEC code section 2020 or 2023 edition for the scenario below?
I have a panelboard rated 100A bus and 100A MCB but total connected/demand load is more than 100A. I am trying to figure out what specific code section is being violated. 220,240? Thank you.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Hello Forum,

Can someone please guide me to the right NEC code section 2020 or 2023 edition for the scenario below?
I have a panelboard rated 100A bus and 100A MCB but total connected/demand load is more than 100A. I am trying to figure out what specific code section is being violated. 220,240? Thank you.
110.3(A)(7)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello Forum,

How about this section
408.30 General.
All panelboards shall have a rating not less than the minimum feeder capacity required for the load calculated in accordance with Part III, IV, or V of Article 220, as applicable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hello Forum,

Load based on what?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
220.10 is Part II of Article 220. Note the section Dennis cited refers to Parts III, IV and V. Your panelboard is a feeder, not a branch circuit.

So no, you do NOT add up the calculated loads as determined by 220.10 to determine the rating required of the panelboard. It is quite possible, even likely, that there is no code violation.

aelec84

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
220.10 is Part II of Article 220. Note the section Dennis cited refers to Parts III, IV and V. Your panelboard is a feeder, not a branch circuit.

So no, you do NOT add up the calculated loads as determined by 220.10 to determine the rating required of the panelboard. It is quite possible, even likely, that there is no code violation.
Understood, thank you. However after applying the demand factors in Part III of 220 if the load is still above rating of the panel then I would think its a code violation.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Understood, thank you. However after applying the demand factors in Part III of 220 if the load is still above rating of the panel then I would think its a code violation.
Yes, if neither Part IV or V applies. (i.e. it's not a dwelling or a farm, and you have no demand data for 220.87).