New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

moresi

I see -and thank you.

But I am still compliant by using 4/0 Al to feed each 200 amp panel by 310.13(A) correct?

wawireguy

You're T&M so no reason to want to stick with 4/0. If the code calls for 250mcm you might as well install it..

My question is about the number of feeders to the structure. Lets say for this example that everything is underground.

Is it code to have a pedestal with two 200 amp disconnects feed two 200 amp panels in the house with seperate conduit runs?

Would it be code to have a 400 amp disconnect on the pedestal feed two 200 amp panels in the house with seperate conduit runs.

How about 400 amp disconnect on the pedestal with two runs to a gutter where the two 200 amp panels are tapped?

Having the service on a pedestal makes it a little more complicated in my mind. I want to make sure I have my head wrapped around the different options available.

wawireguy

Would 225.30 apply to this scenario? If you call the pedestal a structure it seems that it would. If that's the case then you couldn't feed two seperate panels in two locations with two runs from the pedestal. You would have to feed a 400 amp load center inside the house then feed your two panels.

moresi

The pedestal question raises a good point but I do not believe that it would be an issue. In any event I am still working on these prints and my design and am now thinking of locating a 400 amp meter pan on the garage wall and then piping 2 3" PVC conduits under the garage floor back out of the house and into the mechanical room basement to hit my 2 200 amp panels. I see this as being an acceptable practice for the service conductors and the conductors will be considerd outside of the building until the point where they enter and go into the panels and hit the 200 amp OCPD's. This design seems to be no different then a typical 400 amp resi. service. Comments on this new plan of attack? Does seem to keep things simplified for me and should be most agreeable to POCO and AHJ.

cadpoint

... Comments on this new plan of attack? Does seem to keep things simplified for me and should be most agreeable to POCO and AHJ.

It doesn't matter what comment is made here it should be run by the AHJ and POCO as required, then... Etc... :grin:

wawireguy

Still need to group your service disconnects though. So would need one 400 or two 200's in proximity of each other. Are both going to be in the mechanical room?

I like the idea of running conduit for your runs to the panels. Doing long runs of SER in a house can be a PIA. Some houses it might be pretty hard to do depending on construction.

moresi

Yes- the 2 panels would be side by side in the mechanical room where service conductors enter - so should be good there. I too am reluctant when it comes to long runs of larger amp rated SER in single family homes.

It does not matter if the job is T&M......GET A WRITTEN CONTRACT!! I just spent two years waiting to go to court to recover $20,000.00 on a T&M project. I have hired a crane to prevent any further cases of rectal/cranial inversion, because I did the project on a handshake. Again....WRITE A CONTRACT and spell out everything from paid wages to materials (provided w/ or w/out markup). Are you billing from the time you arrive on the job or from the time you arrive at your shop to "gear up". Are you billing for purchasing and stocking the material? I hope you get the point. T&M can be sweet IF EVERYTHING is spelled out and agreed to. Believe this voice of experience.....I have been out $20,000 plus for over 2 years because I was an idiot. Good luck and hope the job goes well.

moresi

Still working on this one. Seems power company tells me to follow NEC specs. while I still must follow their requirements for meter can. The short of it is this. My POCO requires that I install a 320 amp meter / main breaker unit mounted on a wooden pedestal that we will construct at lot line of property. The meter main 320 amp continuous (supplied by Milbank) has 2 - 200 amp main breakers. This means the following - I will supply meter main with 2 paralell sets of supply conductors from x-former. I will then feed 2 - 200 amp service panels in house (they are considerd service panels) from pedestal mounted meter main, which will be locted side by side in electrical room of basement. Lines will come in underground through concrete wall. Both of these panels will also have a 200 amp OCPD (main breaker panels). So taking all the rules regarding services into considerations - are they setting me up for what others may percieve as a blatent violation? I feel that I am in compliance. Rods will be hit a meter main while UFFER, / water pipe ground will be hit at panels in basement.
I am going to be provideing AHJ with a schematic of this service. Not something that is seen that often in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.