New service install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
He didn't color the wires; they came from the factory that way.
Zoom in on the picture. You can clearly see tape around the conductors, especially at the top. Why they taped all the way down, I do not know. If he did buy them that way, those are the worst looking factory conductors I've ever seen!

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Did you need to go to a ground rod outside? Or does the building have rebar, etc?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Maybe i'm mistaken, but I don't understand why there's an external grounding connection external of the panels Vs in them?

~RJ~

nickelec

The conductors are tapped for no other reason then habbit, this is a friends house where all I was tasked with was the service he has another EC doing the work inside. All the afci requirements will be met by him I'm assuming

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

nickelec

I would agree with you but here in NYC the inspections. Usually happen after Meyer is already installed and locked, so inspectors can't see it and will fail the job

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
You mean the red conductor? There really is no standard for that. Plus, the OP is left-handed. :sneaky:
I understand the importance of color coding 2 phases for the most part is irrelevant, but isn't there some kind of unified practice that #1 Breaker in a 120/240V configuration is Black.

Another question is if Red is not B phase aka L2 .. then I suppose a 3 phase 277/480 can be terminated as orange yellow brown. Instead of the well recognized.. Br-Or-Ye .

Not meaning to be a smart alec but your comment above of " no standard" is a little baffling especially with your knowledge of installation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not meaning to be a smart alec but your comment above of " no standard" is a little baffling especially with your knowledge of installation.
It may be done by tradition, but there is no code requirement that L1 is black and L2 is red.

I was referring to the question at hand. Of course, the NEC has some conductor color rules.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A friend of mine told an apprentice his color sequence should be Black Red Blue. The kid walked away saying the sequence to himself. Al followed him down the hallway and when the young fellow turned left, the sequence changed to Black Blue Red and so it was for that panel.

kwired

Electron manager
I would agree with you but here in NYC the inspections. Usually happen after Meyer is already installed and locked, so inspectors can't see it and will fail the job

Some places they say the lock or seal makes the GEC connection "not accessible" and is reason they don't allow it there even though NEC specifically mentions it is allowed there.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Some places they say the lock or seal makes the GEC connection "not accessible" and is reason they don't allow it there even though NEC specifically mentions it is allowed there.
IMO that’s about as silly as saying a GFCI in a locked room is inaccessible.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO that’s about as silly as saying a GFCI in a locked room is inaccessible.
I agree.

NEC also says overcurrent devices must be readily accessible, but also says a lock on the enclosure door doesn't change anything. Yet an overcurrent device locked in another space that an occupant doesn't have access to is not ok, (maybe meter center/distribution panel in a locked room that only building owner can access) unless maybe there is facilities person on site at all times.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Depends on the poco too, Georgia Power prohibits it from being in their equipment, while other poco’s want it terminated there.

Status
Not open for further replies.