Nitrogen in tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djohns6

I think the benefits are minimal at best for the average Joe . Nitrogen is dirt cheap . It's another way for shops to make a profit . Kinda like when they started adding " shop supplies " to their invoices . Six to eight bucks for a couple of rags and a squirt of WD-40 . :grin:

norcal

When I needed tires for my Dodge 2500, they had Michelin 10 ply on em, decided to get another set for them & in pricing them at various shops, found Costco had the best price, and to make a long story short, they use nitrogen to fill their tires & had banners to hype the news....

If it's better or not, I dunno.....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
it's used in racing for both tires and shocks, one of the principle reasons is that when you increase temperature, straight nitrogen expands less than normal atmosphere. so when you heat up the tires, the pressure doesn't increase as much.

I think you should google universal or ideal gas law.

N2 and air expand at exactly the same rate, or at least so close that you can't tell the difference.

quogueelectric

I carry portable air/Co2 tanks on my truck for portable air. I have tire valve chucks/Air tool chucks/ Oil fitting chucks/ blown air chucks, Tire repair plugs and glue with the kit. I wonder how co2 reacts to the rubber. I know it will drive nails or any other air tool all day long with a little tank strapped on my tool belt and a 6'air hose. I love it. It delivers 120+ out of the regulator.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I think you should google universal or ideal gas law.

N2 and air expand at exactly the same rate, or at least so close that you can't tell the difference.

drat. you mean i've been lied to all these years?:mad:
if that is so, and i'll take it on faith that it is,
then why are all these people doing, and have been
doing this, for thirty years? cooperative hallucination?

Status
Not open for further replies.