NM cable sleeved it conduit outdoors..

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
What about when the conduit is loosely connected, so when the thhn faults, the emt becomes lethal ? You are describing a sloppy installation. Code can't prevent that.

Some guys will do all kinds of stupid stuff, even in "legal" installations.

I agree with you 100%.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Exception ; When the inspector is not looking....:lol:

It seems that none of the inspector's ever call that out, when romex comes through an outside wall to a box with a light fixture ,or a box with a receptacle both are in a wet location .

I use NM if the box is inside the wall, UF if the box is surface mounted on the outer surface. The 1 inspector who checked out a few of these agreed with me.

So far, inspectors have been OK with me with existing NM in outside conduit to a panel, but new wire had to be UF or other weather resistant types.

I personally think NEC went overboard on that one, as modern NM has THHN insulated conductors, though the paper filler can still get wet. But what can you do? Truth is too, I never understood paper filler with NM. Serves no real purpose that I can see.

220/221

Hardly, we have many hills left to climb. I still have to get you on board with big extension cord like SE.:thumbsup:

Don't hold your breath :happyno:

I never understood paper filler with NM. Serves no real purpose that I can see.

I always asumed it was to keep the wire insulation from sticking to the sheath in the mfg process...but I have seen cable without it so..???

B4T

I personally think NEC went overboard on that one, as modern NM has THHN insulated conductors, though the paper filler can still get wet. But what can you do? Truth is too, I never understood paper filler with NM. Serves no real purpose that I can see.

Wet paper must have magical qualities when it comes in contact with plastic covered copper wires.. :jawdrop:

Just how many deaths have been recorded because of this menace to the electrical trade.. :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Wet paper must have magical qualities when it comes in contact with plastic covered copper wires.. :jawdrop:

Just how many deaths have been recorded because of this menace to the electrical trade.. :?

I agree with you however it is what it is and unless someone writes a proposal..... I actually thought about writing one to allow NM in damp areas but if you allow it outside in conduit then it would be in a wet location. I don't know that they can make NM as easy to strip and also allow it to be in wet locations. It isn't a big deal to run UF or in ac units to run thwn.

It is not always about deaths either. It is about damage control.

B4T

I sent an e-mail to Southwire to find out the ratings of the conductors used in NM-B cable..

It has been posted many times on a different forum nobody knew what the answer was..

Applications Engineer
Research Division
Southwire Company

"They are THHN/THWN but they are not designed to be used without the outer jacket. This is a dry location only product."

So the REAL reason is making money for the company and not public safety.. I rest my case.. :p

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There has never been an argument what kind of wire is in it. I have called southwire myself years ago on this. That does not mean all manufacturers use thwn but I suspect they do. They also told me that the sheathing is made from the same material as the conductors but I think it is a bit different as water will permeate thru the jacket.

iwire

Staff member
So the REAL reason is making money for the company and not public safety.. I rest my case.. :p

No the real reason is NM has never been rated for wet locations, never.:happyno:

The inside of a conduit in a wet location has always been a wet location.:lol:

The only thing that has really changed is some clarity and enforcement.

When I started in the trade we still used whatever breaker fit in the panel, you know and I know it works fine, but then enforcement caught up with the rules and we had to stop doing that.

Get over it, go buy some UF and move on with your life. :D

iwire

Staff member
Put it in there. The NEC is just a guide book. The NM will work forever.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize the NEC is a rigged document, promulgated mainly to enrich electrical manufacturers. As stated above, NM conductors are thwn, so I'll strip them and put them wherever they need to go.

So you are a handyman not a professional. That's cool someone has to fill that spot.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The inside of a conduit in a wet location has always been a wet location.:lol:

The only thing that has really changed is some clarity and enforcement.

Bob,
You know that I wasn't just after clarity with the proposal for 300.9. It was just one step in my master plan to rid the NEC of cable wiring methods:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.