NM cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I find that the entry slots in plastic boxes usually hold the cable fairly secure. I pull the wire in fairly snug and the slot grips it enough to keep it from backing up. If not, I put a staple near the box.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Drywall Dropins

Drywall Dropins

Of all the things I can worry over, dropping a cutout in the wall is the least of them. Out of sight, out of mind. No hazard to anyone, no inconvenience and 1 less piece of trash to clean up. No one will ever have to look at it until the wall is torn down one day. Then it will look nice compared to the wall demolished with a hammer.

rt66electric

get away with a zip-tie really???

get away with a zip-tie really???

Depends on whether the staple in question is listed, and what the listing states that staple is capable of holding.

Typically, listed staples are limited to two cables.

I get around this by driving the staple sideways with no cable under it and using a zip tie.

I have never seen a inspected job w/ziptie on romex. Ive seen MC ziptied. I'm going to ask local insectors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have never seen a inspected job w/ziptie on romex. Ive seen MC ziptied. I'm going to ask local insectors.

It is permitted by the NEC:

334.30 Securing and Supporting.
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4? ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.