No permit and no payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I asked our local building department where the threshold from repair and no permit to alteration and permit is. The answer is, if I add a breaker I need a permit, if not I don't. (Habersham County, Georgia).

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you don't get paid, at least make his life miserable. Post an ad with his phone number on some local bulletin boards for a car for sale real cheap. Specify to call any time, day or night. You could also write his phone # on bathroom walls....

kwired

Electron manager
I asked our local building department where the threshold from repair and no permit to alteration and permit is. The answer is, if I add a breaker I need a permit, if not I don't. (Habersham County, Georgia).

There is a way around that - put it on an existing breaker.

Add 8 or 10 circuits but put them on with the existing 50 amp range circuit - no permit needed - likelihood of callback is less than if you put them on 15 or 20 amp breakers.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

Add 8 or 10 circuits but put them on with the existing 50 amp range circuit - no permit needed - likelihood of callback is less than if you put them on 15 or 20 amp breakers.
Interesting perspective, I think I'll mention it to inspector.

I have been told that a licensed electrician in Georgia is required by law to conform to NEC whether or not work is inspected, but maybe method would work for DIY and carpenters.

kwired

Electron manager
Interesting perspective, I think I'll mention it to inspector.

I have been told that a licensed electrician in Georgia is required by law to conform to NEC whether or not work is inspected, but maybe method would work for DIY and carpenters.

Work done by DIY or carpenter is likely supposed to be done to NEC also. Most of time it is not. They also know many ways around getting inspections where they are otherwise required, not just electrical either.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

May work OK until someone plugs 2 space heaters into a ckt and pulls close to 30 amps on a #14 wire.

kwired

Electron manager
May work OK until someone plugs 2 space heaters into a ckt and pulls close to 30 amps on a #14 wire.

I'm guessing, although not a good idea, it will work for a long time.

When it finally does fail it could just burn off at a terminal, or it could burn some combustible material in close proximity to a circuit cable. Predicting which is a little like predicting the outcome of a coin toss.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Long story short. I was sitting in court one day and a tile guy was suing a couple for payment. They're argument was that he didn't have a contractors license. The judge asked if he did a good job and if they knew that he didn't have a license when they hired him. The replied yes to both and were then ordered to pay and if they had a problem with the license to take it up with the contractors board.

You cannnot agree to pay someone for the work they do and then renig on that agreement after the work is done, only before.
Ineresting ,,,, another Judge that failed to uphold the law. Ca requires the Judge to ajuducate in favor of the customer.

PetrosA

I'm seeing more jurisdictions around here requiring a permit to replace GFI receptacles - can't say I understand the reasoning behind that. Also, some require the signature of the homeowner as well as the contractor on permit applications.

kwired

Electron manager
You find a judge or lawyer that knows anything about construction or license law, you let me know, because it would be somewhat like finding Bigfoot.

Actually knows or just thinks he knows? If he actually knows, not many small contractors will ever be able to afford his services or for that matter be able to get an appointment in a timely manner.:happyyes:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Actually knows or just thinks he knows? If he actually knows, not many small contractors will ever be able to afford his services or for that matter be able to get an appointment in a timely manner.:happyyes:

Actually knows. They all act like they think they know. It's usually your "expert" witness against their "expert" witness. :roll:

If there's no permit, for whatever the reason, I don't leave without making definite plans for payment. And 99% of the time I leave with cash or a check. If the check bounces or anything like that, there's already intent to pay me.

Homeowner's signature on a work order is construed as intent to pay. Never, never do any work, regardless of how small the job, without a signature from the customer agreeing to the price and to the scope of work to be done. Anything else you are running the risk of doing it for free with no legal recourse.

I'd check the local codes. You should not need a permit to replace defective components such as switches and receptacles. Add wiring however and now you need one.

growler

I'm seeing more jurisdictions around here requiring a permit to replace GFI receptacles - can't say I understand the reasoning behind that.

Have you seen the total number of permits for construction that some jurisdictions have issued in the last year? I think many of these small communities are just trying to drum up a little business before to many of their people (employees ) get the ax. :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.