Non separately derived system grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Actually it likes them so much it fixed a problem between the NEC, UL and the real world.

Luckily we are not as obsessed with this non-issue as you are.
Did you open the link?

I think you meant to say as "you, NEC, UL are" as I am only repeating what the other two say.

What about all those other things I mentioned in that post you quoted?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
These portable generators have never been designed to be connected to a premises wiring system during bad weather. They were designed to be used as temporary power not as an optional standby system as we have tried to use them
Mike, if that's the case why does the FEMA article mention this.

If necessary to connect generator to house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install appropriate equipment.
And this :D
Or, your utility company may be able to install an appropriate transfer switch.

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Non separately derived system grounding

...and I suppose these listed devices from the manufacturer are illegal as well. :)

3F5A6F8C-CB62-4B8D-BA73-785FA8F30B6B-1381-000001BD412CF522.jpg

uqy6y3yr.jpg

Last edited:

jwelectric

Mike, if that's the case why does the FEMA article mention this.

And this :D

Roger
Because there is a proper way to connect a generator to premises wiring systems and when a portable generator that has receptacles mounted to the frame the only correct way is as a SDS.

What I was addressing was the 15 foot that Ma requires one to be and the dangers of carbon monoxide

edlee

Because there is a proper way to connect a generator to premises wiring systems and when a portable generator that has receptacles mounted to the frame the only correct way is as a SDS.

What I was addressing was the 15 foot that Ma requires one to be and the dangers of carbon monoxide

This is definitely an issue , though that FEMA link you gave us states that most CO poisoning deaths are the result of generators being run indoors i.e. in garages or basements.

I think it might be a Mass state code, not national, but all dwelling units are required to have CO detectors, one on each level plus within 10' (or 15' ?, would have to look it up) of bedroom doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.