Non UL approved, homemade, grounding or bonding..Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

We installed a couple of 400 amp Square D safety disconects a while back, and the UL factory ground lug kit consisted of a #10 or #12 self tapper screw and a L lug. I personaly think its a bit "cheesy",I tightened the small screw as much as I dared, then tightened the L lug and couldnt keep ithe lug from spinning..:rolleyes: so I installed my 1/4-20 and nut method, and feel much better about it...:smile:

newenergy

Couldn't the fender washer method have a bad dissimilar metal effect with the copper?

Seems like the threads digging into the metal of the enclosure is at least as good as a tight connection with nothing digging into the surface.

Mule

I tend to think about the mass of the current carrying conductors. In this case the EGC could be asked to carry a substantial amount of fault current. And to me, the weekest link should have as much mass as the strongest link. And to install that small screw which has that small thread mass just doesnt cut it for me......Its not even as heavy as a standard green bonding screw.....

Sorry for wearing this topic out, Sometimes UL approved stuff just doesnt mean that much to me, I'll quit...:grin:

Mule

That's a good point. Do you have trouble with inspectors?

Yes, they dont check my work well enough.....:mad: My opinion is that there is a wide margin of integrity in both inpectors and tradesman alike. And they go hand in hand. If you have a lazy or nieve inspector, so goes the work in that area...This forum has been a big help to me, "Uht O" did I say that?....Here it comes......;)

newenergy

There are probably 1000 inspectors in the area I cover. I have to try to do things that work for most of them without having to explain/argue about something over and over. I install Solar and a lot of inspectors don't know much about it, so they often focus on grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.