Number of 90 Degree Bends in a Conduit Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I think if you have a conduit that will sag so much that it would affect your ability to pull wire thru it, you probably would want to rethink your conduit support layout, type specification, or both.
Not saying it's hard to pull through, just saying there is a chance it could put you over three hundred and sixty degrees.

Carultch

Not saying it's hard to pull through, just saying there is a chance it could put you over three hundred and sixty degrees.

I'm saying that if someone can see the conduit bends due to deformation curvature, that you might want to rethink the conduit type selection or the support spacing.

In otherwords, no one will notice that RMC is sagging across its 10 ft spans, and adding 2 arc-minutes above the 360 degree limit. But if you can see that PVC is sagging across its spans, and all the sags add up to 40 degrees above the 360 degree limit, you might want to add more support points.

sparkyrick

I think the most I've pulled through is 540? in some 3/4" PVC on a remodel job. It was laid in the same trench that the plumbers saw cut the existing concrete to add their new lines. Still pulled fairly easy too :)

kwired

Electron manager
I think if you have a conduit that will sag so much that it would affect your ability to pull wire thru it, you probably would want to rethink your conduit support layout, type specification, or both.
The sag from poor support is one thing that IMO you should rethink your support methods. There is also the cases where you have a gradual curve like when attaching to a "round structure" like a grain silo or some tank, or even an underground run that is not a "straight line".

Those "box offsets" do add up - but you usually have a new "pull point" at each offset, so the only place they are a problem is if you already have 360 degrees of bends between pull points before counting the offsets at the two ends, though many will overlook them and have little additional problem with pulling in those instances, the fourth ninety is usually what is noticed the most once the pull reaches that point:happyyes:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd argue, 1/4 the way around a grain silo as just 1 huge 90.:)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
I'd argue, 1/4 the way around a grain silo as just 1 huge 90.:)

JAP>
It is, but if you turn up or down a couple times along the way you can easily forget you already have 90 degrees gradually added there.

A long run of underground that encounters hills also has deflection that is not always considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.