Objectionable Current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I was wondering if there would be any touch or step potential at the case of the padmount utility transformer? Also would there be any circulating currents in the grounding system that would affect sensitive electronic equipment in the building. There's my curious questions.

Computer systems are becoming much less sensitive to grounding issues as they have moved away from interconnect cabling that carries the ground with it.

On the other hand audio systems can still have issues with it.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I was wondering if there would be any touch or step potential at the case of the padmount utility transformer?

There will be, but (usually) not noticeable. If curious next time on the job you could take a reading with a volt meter with one lead to the pad the other on the dirt and see. 1/2 a volt would be high.

Also would there be any circulating currents in the grounding system that would affect sensitive electronic equipment in the building. There's my curious questions.

Thats difficult to say, but in general newer electronic equipment is not effected. If no grounded neutrals exist after the service disconnect I grantee you what remains will be minuscule compared to a wiring error within the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.