Old work box

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Wow you guys are tough.

We do get changes on the fly, lady of the house doesn't like that there was no light for an area, need a plug added, trust me home owners do not see how everything will come together until the house is almost done!!! so we do fish wires in a add plugs switches and lights all the way up till they move in and many times after.

as for using old work box's on new construction, well since most houses around here are built on the fly and having a print is a rare thing, there are many places you never know just where to put a box before drywall, bathroom wall sconce over the sink is just one of those places, I leave a whip so I can adjust it to the size of the med cabinet or when we have two or more sink bowls I leave a whip in the wall across each bowl with a loop centered on each bowl and one in the middle of each bowl, here the home owner picks out the lights last and we never always know what we are getting, could have a bar light over each sink or a sconce in the middle of each sink.

Another place is for kitchen under cabinet lights, there is no common hight that cabinet installers or home owners can decide on how high they want the cabinets, I leave a whip for each area stubbed out just below the top of the lowest point they might hang the cabinets, I have the cabinet installers stub it out just above the top of the cabinet so I can cut in a receptacle horizontal so that the cover plate is right up to the top of the cabinet, this way you cant see the receptacle from below.

kwired

Electron manager
Wow you guys are tough.

We do get changes on the fly, lady of the house doesn't like that there was no light for an area, need a plug added, trust me home owners do not see how everything will come together until the house is almost done!!! so we do fish wires in a add plugs switches and lights all the way up till they move in and many times after.

as for using old work box's on new construction, well since most houses around here are built on the fly and having a print is a rare thing, there are many places you never know just where to put a box before drywall, bathroom wall sconce over the sink is just one of those places, I leave a whip so I can adjust it to the size of the med cabinet or when we have two or more sink bowls I leave a whip in the wall across each bowl with a loop centered on each bowl and one in the middle of each bowl, here the home owner picks out the lights last and we never always know what we are getting, could have a bar light over each sink or a sconce in the middle of each sink.

Another place is for kitchen under cabinet lights, there is no common hight that cabinet installers or home owners can decide on how high they want the cabinets, I leave a whip for each area stubbed out just below the top of the lowest point they might hang the cabinets, I have the cabinet installers stub it out just above the top of the cabinet so I can cut in a receptacle horizontal so that the cover plate is right up to the top of the cabinet, this way you cant see the receptacle from below.

I'm with you on this, but apparently if an additional light or receptacle is wanted or needed or even if the electrician messed up and did not include it at rough in, you are supposed to tear the walls up and start all over to put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.