omit neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ignorant Brit strikes again.

What qualifies an electrical supply to be called a service?
If it comes directly from a power company (POCO), it is a service. Up to the first disconnect with associated OCPD. Beyond that it is a feeder or branch circuit. A customer owned source is never a service.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Besoeker

If it comes directly from a power company (POCO), it is a service. Up to the first disconnect with associated OCPD. Beyond that it is a feeder or branch circuit. A customer owned source is never a service.

Thank you, sir!

JPinVA

And to provide the safety purpose behind the reason a neutral must be provided to a Service: That's where the Neutral is bonded to the EGC to provide the low impedance path back to source necessary to clear a fault. It is not required at a load side panel serving only 240 because it is not required for 120, and (most importantly) is not required to clear a fault. The EGC performs that role...all the way back to the Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.