Oregon Supervisor Test....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you Joshua, per 220.44 the receptacle loads can be made subject to the lighting demand load factors in 220.42.

That would make the correct answer (d) 229A.
Thank you David, I missed the fact those receptacles could have the demand factor applied.

This is one thing I hate about licensing exam questions when they put in such questions. There is no requirement to use the demand factor - it is a choice that is allowed and is more of a design issue to make that choice IMO If you know those receptacles will typically have heavier loads on them by choice you may by choice choose not to apply a demand factor.

This makes more then one correct answer to the exam question, though it is multiple choice question. As we can see from this example one can waste a lot of time trying to figure out just how to come up with one of the answer choices given even though you maybe can actually come up with several code compliant answers. They need to present questions that only have one possible answer IMO.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you David, I missed the fact those receptacles could have the demand factor applied.

Me too.

This makes more then one correct answer to the exam question, though it is multiple choice question. As we can see from this example one can waste a lot of time trying to figure out just how to come up with one of the answer choices given even though you maybe can actually come up with several code compliant answers. They need to present questions that only have one possible answer IMO.

Maybe if it was worded "what is the smallest possible demand" or something along those lines.

kwired

Electron manager
Me too.

Maybe if it was worded "what is the smallest possible demand" or something along those lines.
That is one step in right direction. I just think the purpose of the exam is to find out if you know how to utilize the code and they don't need to give you questions that have no definite answer. Better yet would be questions on the process instead of giving you an example that has multiple outcomes depending on what options may be taken. They could narrow down to what is minimum general lighting load for a warehouse of 25000 square feet. If they want to be tricky can throw in some useless information like how much heating or cooling load there is and see if the person answering the question disregards that information when answering the question.

They can later ask other questions on total load and just give you an already determined lighting load as part of the criteria for answering the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.