Outlet box sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave121

2008 NEC. exam. preparation book, pg. #134. Q. What is the minium size square outlet box req'd. for one 14/3 nm. cable that terminates on a 3 way switch, and one 12/2 nm cable that terminates on a receptical? The box has internally installed cable clamps. total volume required is 23.5 ins.
My question is, Why the 4 x 2 1/8 box, (30.3 cu. in. ) and not the 4 11/16 box at 25.5 cu. ins.?

Thanks

daleuger

Mud rings that hold in the receptacles and switches are made for 4 square boxes and not 4 11/16. I could be wrong about that but I've never seen them and that's the only logical reason I can think your answer is wrong.

raider1

Staff member
Mud rings that hold in the receptacles and switches are made for 4 square boxes and not 4 11/16. I could be wrong about that but I've never seen them and that's the only logical reason I can think your answer is wrong.

I have installed many mud rings on 4 11/16 boxes, they are available.

Chris

daleuger

I have installed many mud rings on 4 11/16 boxes, they are available.

Chris

I did say I could be wrong. :smile:

Then how could his answer be wrong I wonder.....error in answer key? Error in calculating box size? Something is awry:-?

jumper

2008 NEC. exam. preparation book, pg. #134. Q. What is the minium size square outlet box req'd. for one 14/3 nm. cable that terminates on a 3 way switch, and one 12/2 nm cable that terminates on a receptical? The box has internally installed cable clamps. total volume required is 23.5 ins.
My question is, Why the 4 x 2 1/8 box, (30.3 cu. in. ) and not the 4 11/16 box at 25.5 cu. ins.?

Thanks

Was the question a multiple choice or fill in the blank. I ask because I am also studying.

daleuger

I just want to confirm that you are indeed wrong.:D J/K

As far as any error in the question I am not sure.

Chris

Well if they didn't make them it sure would be a good reason for his answer to be wrong.

Those tricky test questions will hit you where it hurts if you let them. Anything you've heard about how hard the exam can be is absolutely true. At least you're doing some things right by getting study books and asking questions on this forum. Wish I'd known about it before I took mine.:rolleyes:

dave121

It was a multiple choice. The 4 11/16 box was not one of the choices, it did have enough room and was smaller than the correct size for the question. I was wondering why the deeper box was not possibile.

daleuger

It was a multiple choice. The 4 11/16 box was not one of the choices, it did have enough room and was smaller than the correct size for the question. I was wondering why the deeper box was not possibile.

Because it wasn't one of the choices. That's how they get ya. :D

celtic

Thanks

Can a 4 11/16 box be obtained w/internal clamps?

I agree with the required volume needed. 23.5 cu. ins. I assumed it had to do with the intended use of the boxs. The 4 11/16 boxs may not have mountings for straps.
Mounting straps are not a consideration...a caddy bar, or similar, would allow the box to mounted to virtually anything.

daleuger

Can a 4 11/16 box be obtained w/internal clamps?

Mounting straps are not a consideration...a caddy bar, or similar, would allow the box to mounted to virtually anything.

One can also accomplish a lot with a strategically placed hole, a piece of strut, and a spring nut.

daleuger

You bring a hockey stick to job sites? :cool: :grin:

It's not uncommon. I grab a pick up game after work sometimes. Of course I'm sure they'd be thrilled if I got it out of the vehicle and started smacking pucks down the hall on their time. :cool:

celtic

Of course I'm sure they'd be thrilled if I got it out of the vehicle and started smacking pucks down the hall on their time. :cool:

It's been known to happen :D ...the "props" not being the good stuff for game day, but rather misc. material fashioned in rudimentary game playing tools. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.