Panel in Big Clothes Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

But I can install the panel in my garage and store all the gas, ammo whatever I want there! LOL.

sad but true, but a perfect example of why the wording needs to be eliminated. Most inspectors and electricians are so fixated on that wording, you don't have a chance of installing a OCD in a clothes closet.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Uniform Wiring Code, 1965: Panel Locations. Branch circuit distribution panels shall not be located in any clothes, linen, or broom closets.

Used to be a lot more cut and dry.​

I have seen many old mobile homes where that is exactly where the panel was placed - in a bedroom closet and about 18 inches above floor - real fun to work in those:happyno:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When you are installing the panel, assuming new construction, there is no "easily ignitible material in the vicinity", so you can install it anywhere you want. :)The "easily ignitible material does not arrive until after the building is occupied. At the time of install, you did not locate the panel in the vicinity of easily ignitible material.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When you are installing the panel, assuming new construction, there is no "easily ignitible material in the vicinity", so you can install it anywhere you want. :)The "easily ignitible material does not arrive until after the building is occupied. At the time of install, you did not locate the panel in the vicinity of easily ignitible material.
You must have been quite the rebel as a child. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.